Expertise on stove size in well insulated house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeshuascoming

Aug 23, 2014
Maine
I live in Maine close to the ocean where temps in the winter average in the mid 20's during the day and teens to single digits at night. I just moved into a 2400 sqft two story (30x40') house with a relatively open floor plan and heat only with wood. I remodeled and it now is double stud construction with R40 walls and and R60 attic flat (dense packed and loose fill cellulose). It has been properly air-sealed. I have a centrally located rather large hearth and am wondering what sized stove will give me an overnight burn but not be overkill due to the house being so well insulated. There is another chimney/hearth at the west side of the house that currently has a small Vermont Castings Intrepid II that is too small for an overnight burn. I want to keep the new stove hot enough for a clean burn yet keep the house at a comfortable level. Also, I don't want to spend more that $1500. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

Welcome to the forum. For an overnight burn you want at least 2 cf firebox. But for what you are describing you would be best suited with a cat stove. Cat stoves will break your budget. Is your $1500 budget for just the stove? Have you considered the expense of the liner system?

Welcome to the forum. For an overnight burn you want at least 2 cf firebox. But for what you are describing you would be best suited with a cat stove. Cat stoves will break your budget. Is your $1500 budget for just the stove? Have you considered the expense of the liner system?

I am not familiar with cat type stoves but have noticed that some folks don't particularly like them. I don't plan on putting a new liner in the chimney as the old one is not very old.

You will also notice in reading here that many people love them. As with most things it is about getting a good product and proper operation.

Reactions: firefighterjake
Status
Not open for further replies.