Experts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cbrodsky

Jan 19, 2006
Millbrook, NY
Friends just had their chimney cleaned today. Guy shows up and first thing he says is "whoa, your install is not at all correct - you have to have 4" of masonry behind that stove! That's not code!"

The wife explains that the manufacturer (Woodstock) specifies a clearance to combustibles with the rear heat shield, and outlines why they have a non-combustible barrier with ceramic tile facing. His reply is "oh, yea, depends on the clearances..."

I would have thrown him out at that point, but I guess they let him continue... sometimes, you're better off going to hearth.com to learn how to clean your chimney on your own.

-Colin

Everyone is an expert, Eh?

It's pretty easy to see on Hearth.com that even the "experts" are deficient in a number of ways and constantly learning. This stuff is like Rocket Science when you figure all the possible angles.

My installer had a quality that sweep could learn a lot from - that is to KEEP QUIET as much as possible. And, when you suspect a problem, always act a little dumb, like "hey, do you have the manual or spec sheet for that stove, I want to check that everything is up to par".

I may be a big mouth, but luckily for me most of my employees were not!

Expert - aka ExSpurt
Ex = the unknown factor
Spurt = a drip under pressure

Whenever I suspect problems I always keep quite until I can confirm my suspiscions. Best to not just blurt things out and make yourself look like an idiot. When you blurt stuff out like that I think the next thing the customer is expecting is... "I can fix it for like $1000". Which then would sound like a scam to them.

This week I had a similar situation I suspected the fire place mantel being too close to combustibles I know there is a relationship of space and protruding moldings.
but off the top of my head I was unsure So I waited till I checked the actual code language I measured the molding thickness and existing clearance spaces and wrote them down in my note book At the time I did not say it passed of failed but noted I have to check into the code the space above a fireplace opening only needs 8" if the moldings are less than 1.5"
In this case the moldings were 3" and only 9" above the next part of the code calls for 12" above the opening when 1.5" molding this thickness is exceeded
I was right, but needed code to confirm the correct answer. I did not spout off and possibly make a fool out of myself. The same final inspection I had HVAC issues and appliance venting issues. What I did is write down the issue descriptions, went back to the office and discussed them with the contractors first, before blowing everything out of proportion.

I have been on the receiving end of such a person doing a home inspection of one of my new homes. A guy spouting off code violations making it up as he went. I think it was an effort to degrade the home so that money would be held back to fix the phantom issues. or to re negotiate the price. Finally I get this guy off away from the prospective buyers and ask to see his
credentials (IE his home inspector's license ) Naturally he does not have one Claims to me to never been asked to produce one the discussion went a bit further and
I showed him my credentials I told him I have every right to drop a dime to the state. I gave him a chance to admen his tone of the inspection. Well he did the right thing, took classes got certified and became a decent inspector. I know at times I should have listened to my own advice, even if correct,I should have handled things differently.
An area I need to think more than speaking. I'm improving at it. and need more improvement

elkimmeg said:
I have been on the receiving end of such a person doing a home inspection of one of my new homes. A guy spouting off code violations making it up as he went. I think it was an effort to degrade the home so that money would be held back to fix the phantom issues. or to re negotiate the price. Finally I get this guy off away from the prospective buyers and ask to see his
credentials (IE his home inspector's license ) Naturally he does not have one Claims to me to never been asked to produce one the discussion went a bit further and
I showed him my credentials I told him I have every right to drop a dime to the state. I gave him a chance to admen his tone of the inspection. Well he did the right thing, took classes got certified and became a decent inspector. I know at times I should have listened to my own advice, even if correct,I should have handled things differently.
An area I need to think more than speaking. I'm improving at it. and need more improvement

"Home Inspectors"...Yeah that's quite the racket.

They're good for my business though. I love the "off the wall" things they come up with sometimes though.

"Yeah the home inspector said it's a code violation to have more than one wire hooked up to a circuit breaker...and also there can't be any wire nuts inside the service panel"...

My reply "What's that so called home inspector doing taking the service panel cover off for in the first place...He ain't licensed to do that...(laughing of course)."

Those guys are priceless most of the time.

A nickle's worth of "free advice though". If you are buying a home:

A negotiating point with the seller (if you are 99% sure you are going to buy the house)...Offer to pay for the home inspection. If he finds any issues...take it to the next level have the 'perspective tradesman' do a more detailed inspection (carpenter, plumber or electrician)...make the arrangements, get the bill then hand it to the seller.

Regardless of what you do...have a "Real Inspection" done by someone that knows what they are looking at.

"The Home inspector Guy"...is a good "first step" but for real piece of mind...take it just a step further. It will pay off in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.