Extend-A-Flue -Anybody have one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jadm

Dec 31, 2007
colorado
Looking at chimney pots as a means to get more height on my chimney. Saw the Extend-A-Flues and am wondering if anyone here has one.

Two things I'd like to know are: In order to have a sweep clean my chimney does the entire unit have to be removed or does just the 'top' come off somehow? Hard to tell from the pictures I have seen.

Also, currently my only block off plate is at the top of my chimney. How would I install one of these units with the block off plate I have now which sits on top of my flue?

These Extend-A-Flues sure look a whole lot nicer than a long bare stainless pipe at the top of my chimney.....I'm sure my neighbors would agree to that to. :coolhmm:

Mike Wilson said:
I did hear that the guy who makes them is a left over hippie who burnt out in the late 70s... :-/

-- MW

I certainly don't remember making those, but from your description, perhaps I do. Rick

I installed one once they're very nice looking and pretty heavy duty. If memory serves the top came off with 3 or 4 screws.

Mike Wilson said:
I did hear that the guy who makes them is a left over hippie who burnt out in the late 70s... :-/

-- MW

So maybe he would be willing to do a trade for some old 'Jefferson Airplane' and 'Country Joe and The Fish' albums???? ;-P

Shane said:
I installed one once they're very nice looking and pretty heavy duty. If memory serves the top came off with 3 or 4 screws.

I like 'heavy duty and nice looking and that the top section could be removed'...... Do you by chance recall anything about a block off plate???

no worries. glad i helped.
if it weren't for him, none of us would be here, and i wouldnt know what i know.

ok guess i stepped into that.
i meant about stoves and burning... eh, you know what i meant.

you sell enough of those yet to bail out VC yet?.......... or finance a mercenary mission to get me a shelf, a flue collar for mandoo.....and who needed the refractory??

perplexed said:
Also, currently my only block off plate is at the top of my chimney.

From what I know, which is not much, having a block-off plate at the top of your chimney is anywhere from slightly to significantly worse than having it at the bottom. A bottom block off plate in conjunction with high temperature insulation is the best way to go. However, there may have been a good reason for your installer to put it at the top.

Mike Wilson said:
I don't have one, but they look really nice. I did hear that the guy who makes them is a left over hippie who burnt out in the late 70s... :-/

-- MW

Ahhh,haaa,haaa,ha.......Now that right there is funny, I don't care who you are. :lol:

Webmaster said:
I take exception to that!

My "time" was in the late 60's, and I was eating natural foods and living clean by 1972.

That is precisely why I did not burn out! Started and stopped young......by the late 70's I was selling wood stoves.
:coolsmile:

Thats funny cuz I WAS going to add a part about a granola crunch'in, twigs and berries kinda guy. :cheese:

Webmaster said:
I take exception to that!

My "time" was in the late 60's, and I was eating natural foods and living clean by 1972.

That is precisely why I did not burn out! Started and stopped young......by the late 70's I was selling wood stoves.
:coolsmile:

Well then, suffice it to say that cutting off the weed early and picking up the twigs and berries has resulted in you looking 10 years younger! Kudos to nature!

-- MW

Status
Not open for further replies.