Extending a chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhorton

Jan 21, 2011
northern ny
Considering installing a wood furnace (Englander) in my basement. My current furnace is forced air LP so I could tap into the plenum so that seems pretty straight forward. I would like to extend the chimney of my wood fireplace (Intertherm) down into the basement to use it for the wood furnace. I could place the furnace directly under the fireplace so it would be a nice straight shot. The chimney also already has very draw. Any input, good or bad, would be appreciated.

Your Intertherm fireplace is a listed appliance, just like your furnace or washing machine. To modify or use it in a way it isn't designed for is usually not permissible by code. I've never considered doing what you suggested, but I can't think of a way to pull it off safely.

cmonSTART said:
Your Intertherm fireplace is a listed appliance, just like your furnace or washing machine. To modify or use it in a way it isn't designed for is usually not permissible by code. I've never considered doing what you suggested, but I can't think of a way to pull it off safely.
Agreed. If you want to install a wood furnace, have someone come give you a price to install its own Class A chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.