extending chimney flue...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsandlin0803

Dec 23, 2008
Eastern KY
I am going to be relining my chimney soon, but the top of the existing chimney does not meet the 10-3-2 rule.

I am going to be lining with a flex ss liner, but I am wondering if I need to extend the top of my chimney.

Will it help with draft if I do?

Also, how do you recommend that I make it taller if necessary? Could I attache rigid ss pipe to the top of the liner to acheive my desired height?
If not, what do you suggest?

Thanks
Jason

Ah, you need one of my inventions....
http://www.extendaflue.com
I can sell you the castings and and adapter and you can run the pipe up through it.

Great deals now..........

Yes, it will make it draft better, especially if your chimney does not meet the rule and/or is short (less than 20 feet)

Hey Jason,

I am facing the same issue as you. My chimney is just over 14 ft so I left 3 ft of the SS liner out the top and put the chimney cap on top of that for a total 17-18 ft. length.
My setup just barely met the 10-3-2 rule and since my chimney is exterior and the manual calls for 13ft min I figure it would be a good idea to add some length. so I am left
with a less than pretty install until I come up with a way to cover up the exposed SS liner. Perhaps a piece of galv sheet cut to fit? I like the extendaflue but was put of by the cost.

To late to go back on the roof now so it will wait until spring to finish it off.. I'm open to other ideas as well

Here's a pic of what it looks like with the SS sticking out..

Attachments

• DSCF9404.JPG
    DSCF9404.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 828
Most definitively looks beautiful, No argument there.. But at $900 for the 12" model I would expect it to sweep my chimney, buck, split and stack my firewood and maybe do some other chores around the house. As for working better, I doubt that as length is length. No matter how attractive it may be the physical length is what it is. I figure I already paid for the stainless steel liner so why not take advantage of extra length if possible.

This is just a suggestion/observation for ya Jason if like me you must limit your cost.

I plan on wrapping the exposed flex liner piece with some ceramic blanket and wrapping that with a piece of stainless or Galv sheet cut to fit.

I don't know how the draft would have been had I cut and terminated it flush to the chimney top but I can say I have good draft at the present 17-18Ft it is now. Even when the insert is cold there's a nice draft up the chimney when I open the door.

bren582 said:
Most definitively looks beautiful, No argument there.. But at $900 for the 12" model I would expect it to sweep my chimney, buck, split and stack my firewood and maybe do some other chores around the house.

Ah, but you didn't ask YOUR price...... Hearth.com membership has many advantages
and without the ss liner.......is cheaper......

let's put it this way. Closeouts are $175-$300.......

they will not do your chores.....but they will look good NOT doing them.......

bren582, what do I need to connect the flex to the rigid?

I plan on cutting the flex flush with the top plate that comes with the kit from flex king.

I need to know what kind of fitting I would need to do what you did.

Thanks
Jason

Craig,
That's one heck of a discount and certainly makes the extendaflue a much more attractive alternative.. At that price range you are in line with the cheapest I have found elsewhere.. Thanks!!

Jason,
What I have is the flex liner extending a few feet out the top of the Chimney. The liner is uncut from the stove to the cap. No rigid pieces in the mix here. I left it this way to take temporary advantage of the extended height while trying to figure out a more permanent and visually finished solution. I suppose you could put a rigid section up there coupled to the top plate with a collar but I have been unable to confirm that.

If I go the cheapest route, using a piece of galv sheet cut to fit between the top plate and the cap I may also paint the entire thing either a Terracotta color in line with the extendaflue or maybe just black. I think a paint job is in order since the galv will look like crap after some time exposed to the weather. Even my existing stainless top plate and cap would look better painted due to the lower grade stainless that comes with the liner kits. Cost goes through the roof "so to speak" if you want high quality stainless parts that look good and retain that look when exposed to weather.

This stainless flue extender will set you back $340 from Northline Express!! Craig's discounted extendaflue offering looks much more attractive all things considered. I would love to hear about other solutions folks have come up with??

Attachments

• 5CO-13126-XLG.jpg
    5CO-13126-XLG.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 510
<>what do I need to connect the flex to the rigid?
I plan on cutting the flex flush with the top plate that comes with the kit from flex king.
I need to know what kind of fitting I would need to do what you did.<>

Metalbestos & ICC (Excel) both make flex-to-rigid adapter plates. They're reasonably cheap - $75 or so...
They attach to your liner with zip screws & to the chimney mudcap with tapcons or masonry anchors...
Then you attach the section(s) of the compatible Class A to the adapter & then finish it with a cap...
You may need addtional bracing if you're extending more than 5 Ft...

If I had to choose for my house I would go with Craigs solution. Very attractive appearance and price, and no need to try to piece something together. Jason I believe that Craigs cap will eliminate the need for two of the parts in your kit, the top plate for the clay liner and the rain cap. Maybe Craig will verify this? In that case you would only need the liner and whatever fitting for your stove.They should be able to adjust the price on the liner accordingly if this is the case. IMO, Jim

My chimney does not have a clay liner. I will be installing the plate to the top of the brick. So, I may have to make a larger plate to attach the smaller plate that comes with the kit.

So, I will have to explore my possibilities.

What do you recommend? Can I use the exteand-a-flue if there is no existing liner?

Thanks
Jaso

Hey Jason..
How about this as a possible solution. This would assume running the flex liner flush to the top of the flue tile or brick edge like yours and installing the "Rigid-to-Flex" adapter plate that would allow an easy install of a removable 4 foot section of stainless insulated rigid liner and cap. It would bring my chimney to a respectable 18+ ft. and look nice to boot..

for my installation it would also allow easier cleaning from the top as having the permanent piece of flex sticking up 4 feet makes the chimney to tall for me to clean from the relative safety of the roof, I don't like doing it from a ladder and dealing with cleaning rods and brushes, a recipe for disaster at least for me !!

48" length Insulated Pipe $134
http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5SP-4648

Extenda Cap Kit $128
http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5SP-4685

Total cost for you would be approx $265, For me a bit cheaper as I only need the Rigid-to-Flex adapter plate.. Craig, What would it coast for your 4ft extenda with insulated liner ?

Attachments

• 5SP-4648-xlg.jpg
    5SP-4648-xlg.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 452
  • 5SP-4685-xlg.jpg
    5SP-4685-xlg.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 462
Status
Not open for further replies.