extending temp sensor on a p68

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My Accentra uses the room sensor. The manual says to use 18-2 thermostat wire (100 feet maximum) to extend the sensor. The manual also says that sensor locations more than 25' from the stove are not recommended. The sensor should be located in the same room as the stove. You would think they would include more than 60" of wire with the sensor.

We just have ours coiled up and tie wrapped to the back of the stove. After we finish with fireplace tear out, part of the pellet stove installation, I will more than likely locate the sensor about 20 feet away by our furnace thermostat. Instead of splicing to the sensor wire, I will run the thermostat wire to the location and install a terminal strip to makeup the connection, maybe even use a surface mount phone block for the "terminal" strip. I may install a digital thermostat at the same location in series with the sensor. I got a link to a technical bulletin off a post here that indicates you can run in, what what I would describe as Hi-Low mode with a thermostat. I might use a Shytech 3301 wireless remote thermostat instead of the wired version. We have used one for serveral years on our Enviro FS gas stove with good results. The first thing is to get a good location for the sensor (although it seems to work OK just coiled, just not perfectly accurate). The rest can come later.

snodays700 said:
Thanks

Yeah I would think they would send more wire are you using the wire that came with it or did you buy some new wire and make it longer.
if they gave you $20 more of wire it prob would cost us $100 more for the stove..you know those handling fees and such are so high they need to make a profit somewhere..

Status
Not open for further replies.