Extension cord size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Pencil

Oct 30, 2008
Tipp City, Ohio
I am in process of building a new mantle from reclaimed lumber. I had to remove an older outlet in the process of taking the old mantle down. Of course the past couple days now it gets colder along with wind so now my wife is saying she is cold. So for just a couple days I was thinking of using an extension cord of 12 or 14 gauge but not possitive of the size I need?

Bantam,

Someone else will probably tell you the guage wire needed, but I'd like to mention that since it will be plugged directly into a surge protector that is properly grounded, into an outlet that is properly grounded, it probably doesn't matter. If you surge protect a $800 computer - wouldn't you surge protect a $ 3,000 appliance that heats your house?

Been surged before,

clifford

A 14 gauge cord is plenty...the stove draws 2.0 amps peek at start up, 14 gauge cords are usually rated for 15 amps, and yes one should use a surge/power conditioner (like what is used for Audio/Video equipment) power surges can fry the boards on pellet stoves pretty easily.

Correction 4.1 amps at start up / 1.1 amps running.

I'll add that a decent small UPS is a good alternative if you have an automatic generator setup (I use a Tripp Lite OMNI1000LCD) - it keeps the stove going while the generator starts.

Just some extra information : Keep in mind the length of the extension cord as well as the amperage draw of what is being powered. Yes, 14 gauge wire is good for 15 amps, but if you have a 100' cord and try to draw 15 amps out of it, you will run into what is referred to as voltage drop. As an example, if you have an air compressor (that draws close to 15 amps) plugged into the 100' cord, it will probably trip the breaker when trying to start. The voltage is not enough for the compressor to start, so it tries to draw more amps and trips the breaker. Electrical equipment operates off of watts (what the power company charges you by is kilowatts or 1000 watts). Voltage multiplied by amperage equals watts. As the voltage drops, the equipment uses more amperage and could result in tripping a breaker. Voltage drop is a result of resistance in the wire. The larger the wire, the less resistance, so when it comes to extension cords, bigger is always better.

Former Farmer said:
Just some extra information : Keep in mind the length of the extension cord as well as the amperage draw of what is being powered. Yes, 14 gauge wire is good for 15 amps, but if you have a 100' cord and try to draw 15 amps out of it, you will run into what is referred to as voltage drop. As an example, if you have an air compressor (that draws close to 15 amps) plugged into the 100' cord, it will probably trip the breaker when trying to start. The voltage is not enough for the compressor to start, so it tries to draw more amps and trips the breaker. Electrical equipment operates off of watts (what the power company charges you by is kilowatts or 1000 watts). Voltage multiplied by amperage equals watts. As the voltage drops, the equipment uses more amperage and could result in tripping a breaker. Voltage drop is a result of resistance in the wire. The larger the wire, the less resistance, so when it comes to extension cords, bigger is always better.

100' cord??? I doubt he is going to plug it into his neighbor's house. Of course that would help with his electric bill :)

That's why bigger is better!!! He'll be able to power more than just his stove :)

SXIPro said:
..... I doubt he is going to plug it into his neighbor's house. Of course that would help with his electric bill :)

OOOOOOOO....that's another great idea! Think they'd notice the bright orange cord lying across their driveway?????? :smirk:

macman said:
SXIPro said:
..... I doubt he is going to plug it into his neighbor's house. Of course that would help with his electric bill :)

OOOOOOOO....that's another great idea! Think they'd notice the bright orange cord lying across their driveway?????? :smirk:

I like that idea but the shortest cord I would need to my neighbor would be about 750-800' across the corn field. He might not see it but the combine would find it for sure.

Cord is only 25'. Shortest I have in the 14 gauge. Works fine and wife is happy;) Hope to have mantle done by end of the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.