Exterior block chimney advice needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

struggle

Minister of Fire
Oct 24, 2006
NW Iowa
Been a while since being on this board.

I am currently removing all of my exterior pre-cast stone on my chimney. The stone was put directly on the block of the chimney with out the wire mesh and as the chimney heat cycles from weather and I guess the stove/fireplace running the pre-cast crap is cracking and water is coming through in some areas. The stone (pre-cast) that they used is very porous so as we go through freezing weather the stone is pooping apart and it looks like gravel around my chimney every year from the bit breaking off from moisture intrusion.

My plan is to remove all the pre-cast stuff off. Extremely labor intensive I am finding out. Repointing any damaged mortar from me chipping the stuff off and installing a moisture barrier around the chimney. Like a thick mil self adhesive material and then doing furring strips and siding the chimney.

Anyone see any problems with doing this from the stand point of sealing the chimney like this with the rubber moisture barrier a bad idea?

My over hang from my chimney cap is only 3" to the block so nova brick is kind of out of the question as it would be over 3" with a furring strip. It also is about $600 for 100 sq. feet. It would take a lot of it to do this chimney and I am sure I would not get my money back out of it if I was to sell the house.

I will tomorrow if it works out get pictures on here.

A roofer will be here this week as we are having the whole roof redone and I want the flashing done properly so that is why I am tackling this now.

I'm sure a few who really know this stuff will chime in, but my understanding is that you want the chimney to breathe. I was told never to use waterproofing, only water repellent, so that moisture can escape.

branchburner said:
I'm sure a few who really know this stuff will chime in, but my understanding is that you want the chimney to breathe. I was told never to use waterproofing, only water repellent, so that moisture can escape.

My thought on this if that holds true which I recall from some where hearing or reading that you said is to just use the barrier on the house (intersecting roof side) side so as to eliminate possible water intrusion behind siding etc. and the rest of the chimney just furring strips on the block and siding over it. The was it is done currently it is darn water tight at the block surface until it went through 25 years of heat cycles.

Status
Not open for further replies.