Exterior caulking question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cjung

Oct 16, 2009
central NY
Hi,

I went around the outside of my house with my caulk gun checking for cracks to fill and while I was at it, I looked at the caulk around the collar for the wood stove pass-through. The chimney was installed about 9 or 10 years ago. The caulk around the collar is clear, rubbery and was really glopped on. In fact between it being clear and also so lumpy and irregular, I'm not real sure how well it's sealed anymore.

My inclination is to take out the old caulk and redo it but I'm not sure what kind of caulk to use. The former owner of our house had the chimney installed and didn't leave any paperwork about it. I have a tube of fire stopping caulk but it's brick red and it might look a little dumb with a white house and shiny metal chimney.

So what kind of caulk can I/should I use around the collar for my chimney pass-through pipe? If I use the fire stopping caulk, can I paint it?

For the storm collar, usually a good quality silicone adhesive caulk like GE Silicone II works well. The exterior class A pipe stays well below its top rated temperature of 400F. But if the current seal is working well, I'd leave it alone. Squirt it with the garden hose to check.

Status
Not open for further replies.