Exterior flue: stainless steel, galvanized, painting.etc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jedirye

Sep 15, 2016
Florida
Just ordered Duravent stainless steel triple wall exterior flue piping. The stainless steel was minimally cheaper than galvanized, and I live in a heavily salt water environment (on the Gulf). However, the interior will be black and black would match better with my house.

Is it worth it to go and paint it? Are there decent high temp paints to apply to this? I could go with galvanized but already have the stainless steel on the way.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Personally, I don't think I would try to paint them. Both metals can peel if the paint is not applied appropriately. The metal has to be "scuffed" and cleaned with acetone for paint to adhere. Self-etching primer also helps with adhesion but not sure if it comes in the high heat formulation. The heat factor can make the paint bond more likely to fail. Don't know how the salt would react...

VHT is a paint used for pellet stove parts but there is a curing process that would be difficult with stove pipe...
http://www.vhtpaint.com/high-heat/vht-flameproof-coating

Rustoleum also makes a BBQ paint ...

Just ordered Duravent stainless steel triple wall exterior flue piping. The stainless steel was minimally cheaper than galvanized, and I live in a heavily salt water environment (on the Gulf). However, the interior will be black and black would match better with my house.

Is it worth it to go and paint it? Are there decent high temp paints to apply to this? I could go with galvanized but already have the stainless steel on the way.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

I'm not understanding what you are asking to paint, the inside steel pipe that is black, or the outside stainless steel pipe? I'm a bit surprised that the stainless steel was cheaper than galvanized, but hey, that's good! I would prefer the stainless on the exterior.

If you can clarify what you are asking about to paint?

dj

Status
Not open for further replies.