exterior metal chimney questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

randomoldguy

Feb 17, 2010
Eastern MA
Love the website and have a few questions concerning wood stoves.

1. How close can a stainless steel chimney pipe be to a window?
2. Does a ridge vent affect the height of the chimney pipe if there is a finished bedroom in the attic?
3. Can anyone on this site recommend a good installer in Eastern Massachusetts.

Thanks in advance

1.) Depends on local codes. I believe when I installed my system it was somewhere in the 36-48" range, minimum.
2.) I don't think the presensce of the bedroom will have any impact on the height of the chimney. Chimney height is determined by the location of the pipe relative to the roof. You have to be 2' higher than any roof section within a 10 foot radius from the pipe, as well as at least 3' higher than where the pipe penetrates.
3.) The "twist and lock" type chimney is quite easy to install. I'd recommned grabbing a Supervent brochure from your local Menards....

Call your local Building Department and find out which Mechanical Code book, and which year of that code book, your county uses. Should be available at your local library. Codes utilized vary by jurisdiction, so no one can tell you for sure what you need to know unless you provide the name of the book. Even then its hard to figure out as codes seem to written by bureaucrats rather than builders, in an arcane language spoken only by themselves and lawyers. Sometimes you can find books in your library and bookstore that will explain codes in plain language. If all else fails consult with your building inspector. Good Luck.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.