1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

"External" insulation on a single wall liner - exposed above chimney.....

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by jwscarab, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwscarab

jwscarab New Member

Loc:
    SE Indiana
    Ok guys - need thoughts. Maybe an easy one. I am hoping to get my new stove soon. I was informed that my single wall SS liner should be trimmed lower where it sticks out of my clay liner. Right now it sticks up 2 feet above the clay liner. Reasoning is it is a cold spot and will build up creosote quickly - it does exactly that - bad.

BUT

I have it 2 feet higher because my chimney has 2 side by side flues. One for the lower level where the stove is, and one for the upper level where my open fireplace is. Before I installed my original stove and liner, I had issues with smoke coming down lower level chimney while burning the open fireplace on the upper level. The 2 foot height elevation difference when I installed the liner seemed to fix the problem.

My question: Instead of trimming down, what can I "wrap" the single wall pipe with to insulate the exposed 2 feet so that wont look like crap. Something like a foil or bubble foil insulation that will wrap the pipe and keep the last 2 feet warm, but still look ok as it is exposed. Thoughts??? Thanks in advance!!!!!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  3. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Exactly! Such a deal I have for you....such a deal......get 'em while they are hot, since I'm either selling the company or putting it up on the shelf soon!
  4. jwscarab

jwscarab New Member

Loc:
    SE Indiana
    I have to admit they look very nice and are perfect for the solution! I spent a chunk on the stove, I am kinda leaning towards a minimal cost fix. I was thinking of something like buying an 8" pipe to drop over the 6" - then filling the void between the two with something with a high R value for the 1" space - then adding an 8" cap???

My flu is 32ft high - SS lined 6" pipe inside clay 9x12 - external masonary. Wonder what the worse case temps are up there???
  5. KeithO

KeithO Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Jackson, MI
    Sounds like you want a length of 6" class A factory chimney with a rain cap ? It would most likely have to be stayed because of the height and not so secure structural connection.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.