External solenoid gas valve?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cttfs

Feb 27, 2016
NJ
Hi,

I am looking at buying a Mendota FV41. But there's one feature I really want that it does not provide out of the box - the ability to put it on a timer to shut off after some number of hours.

Initially I was thinking we could run the electrical supply through a smart/controlled switch. But Mendota recommends against this, and I guess this wouldn't turn off the unit anyway since they're designed to run in a power outage.

So I'm wondering about having a solenoid gas valve installed on the supply line. Something like a Honeywell V4295A1015, and controlling that via a home automation switch, etc.
I've never used one of these, just found it online (e.g. http://www.supplyhouse.com/Honeywel...losed-Gas-Valve-1-2-NPT-Pipe-Size-2-PSI-Rated )

These are designed to control the flow of natural gas, so can you think of any safety concern? Or is there any harm to the Mendota having the gas supply cut off during operation?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Skytech 3300 series remotes are designed to do what you want. They have on/off/thermostat & timer capability.
You can have it run for 15, 30, 45, & 60 minutes & from that point, up to 9 hours in 1/2 hour increments.

Thanks. Can I buy the Skytech and install with the Mendota FV41, or does Mendota use a proprietary control only?

Status
Not open for further replies.