External Woodstove - Air Circulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toddnic

Minister of Fire
Jul 13, 2013
North Carolina
I have a good friend that has been reading about an outside wood stove that pulls the air into it from inside the house and then pushes the heated air back into the house. Is anyone on this forum familiar with this type of stove? Are they worth the investment? My friend said that the one he was looking at was around $1,600. Thanks for any input!

Ya, it's called the "Little House" heater. The only thing good I can find about it is from the manufacturer. Go figure.
It's gonna be about 35% effiecent, use gobs of wood and smoke like crazy! To top it off, you get to go out in the snow to reload it every 6 hours.<>

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I have to agree with webby on this one. I would not want to have to go outdoors to put wood in the stove. About the only thing I can think of that is positive is that it would keep any mess from wood or ash out of the house. However, we get so little of this that it is a non-issue here.

However, we get so little of this that it is a non-issue here.
Same here! That's the biggest reason people use for getting an outdoor boiler. I don't get much mess.

That being said, the only really "efficient" way to burn outside is with a gassifying boiler, it circulates water, not air. But they are more like $10K, and you still can't load it in your underwear!;lol
Moving warm air from outside the home is probably the least efficient way to heat your house.

Talk him into a PH! Or, sell him yours and get the Union!

He loves my PH but his wife says that she "will not have a woodstove in the house because he is a MESS!" Hopefully we can keep working on her as we use our PH through the winter.

I have a neighbor that has a external wood stove that heats and circulates hot water. It does an amazing job but they can't 'fire it up' until it gets fairly cold because it will roast them out of the house.

fox9988 thanks for the information. There are definitely some options if he wants to go that direction. It is interesting that none of the ones I have looked at this evening have effeciency ratings :/

It does an amazing job
What these people don't tell you is the amount of wood they go through! I know several people with em, they don't know for sure because they never stack it. They measure it by the tri-axle load!

Guy down the street has an outdoor wood furnace, but it is ducted (forced hot air). It has a return line and everything. It sits about 12'-15' away from the house and goes in through where a basement window once was. Smokes a lot, gobs of Sote grow out of the 3ft of Class A attached to it. But that is all his fault. Cuts as he burns...

Status
Not open for further replies.