Extremely Disgusted with Maine Energy in Bangor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

Hearth Supporter
Mar 13, 2009
Northern Maine
We had a pellet stove put in in August by Maine Material & Handling - the salesman went on & on about proper venting & air flow --- we ended up buying a Napoleon & had them install it - I wanted it to be put in correctly so we would have to worry about incorrect installation - we have three children & several pets so my concern was focused on safety.

SINCE the stove was installed - This was the FIRST pellet insert they had ever done - we have had them back close to a dozen times.

1. Used PVC Piping when the installation guide said specifically NOT to use PVC piping
2. Vented WAY over the maximum footage stated in the install guide
3. The heat blower broke as well as the heating dial

& many more problems that I dont have the correct knowledge to explain without my husband explaining it.

Napoleon has contacted me a number of times to check everything--the salesman in Bangor HAS NOT. THis guy is a sorriest excuse for a salesman I have ever seen. Since I am also in sales I feel I am justified in saying this. >:-(

We found out that there was too much space between the door & something else (?) & it was not working nearly up to capacity & correctly so we blew through twice as many pellets as we should have. The glass door was covered everynight in black soot---completely covered!! :ahhh:

I would love to know what your thoughts are in our situation & if anyone here has experienced what we have---also, is the black soot everyday completely covering the glass door normal??? :question:

Thanks so much!!

If this were mine, I would do as you did, report this to Napoleon. Then tell the dealer you paid and expect professional installation in keeping with the manufacturer's recommendations.
Should your dealer not be responsive you in a timely manner, my next step would be to report the situation the State AG's office and let you dealer and Napoleon know you have done so.
Should you experience a bad event with your stove, I would question if your insurance would support you esp. knowing that you were aware of the installation errors.

I am impressed that you mentioned Napoleon has been in contact with you. Most postings in this forum would lead one to believe they, Napoleaon, are never responsive and you are totally dependent upon your dealer.

Good luck.

MaineIceQueen said:
We had a pellet stove put in in August by Maine Material & Handling - the salesman went on & on about proper venting & air flow --- we ended up buying a Napoleon & had them install it - I wanted it to be put in correctly so we would have to worry about incorrect installation - we have three children & several pets so my concern was focused on safety.

SINCE the stove was installed - This was the FIRST pellet insert they had ever done - we have had them back close to a dozen times.

1. Used PVC Piping when the installation guide said specifically NOT to use PVC piping
2. Vented WAY over the maximum footage stated in the install guide
3. The heat blower broke as well as the heating dial

& many more problems that I dont have the correct knowledge to explain without my husband explaining it.

Napoleon has contacted me a number of times to check everything--the salesman in Bangor HAS NOT. THis guy is a sorriest excuse for a salesman I have ever seen. Since I am also in sales I feel I am justified in saying this. >:-(

We found out that there was too much space between the door & something else (?) & it was not working nearly up to capacity & correctly so we blew through twice as many pellets as we should have. The glass door was covered everynight in black soot---completely covered!! :ahhh:

I would love to know what your thoughts are in our situation & if anyone here has experienced what we have---also, is the black soot everyday completely covering the glass door normal??? :question:

Thanks so much!!

Hate to be a wise ass here...but he is not a bad salesman...he got your money...he did his sales job...
It is the after sales experience you are having problems with.

I cannot find a listing for "Maine Material & Handling co." is this the name of the company and if so were is it?

bill

Just googled Maine Material & Handing .
1554 Hammond St
Bangor, ME 04401
(207) 945-6497

In another post the OP says it was Maine Energy, Maine Material is a heavy and industrial equipment wholesaler.

Does the poster know who she is dealing with?

I am SO sorry!! It is not Maine Material & Handling---my fault!!! It is Maine Energy - website here - http://www.maineenergy.net/
Please can someone change the name--I feel terrible that I did that!!

As for the salesman - We didnt technically buy the stove because of him. We bought it because they are right down the road from my company & were the only ones who could get it in in time. His pitch didnt sell it.

Yes, Napoleon did call me -- actually, as of yesterday, the sales person from Maine Energy called me - he has a plan that should make us all happy--I wonder if he wants to pull the stove out--my husband & I both hope so.

Thanks for your help & information!!

MaineIceQueen said:
I am SO sorry!! It is not Maine Material & Handling---my fault!!! It is Maine Energy - website here - http://www.maineenergy.net/
Please can someone change the name--I feel terrible that I did that!!

As for the salesman - We didnt technically buy the stove because of him. We bought it because they are right down the road from my company & were the only ones who could get it in in time. His pitch didnt sell it.

Yes, Napoleon did call me -- actually, as of yesterday, the sales person from Maine Energy called me - he has a plan that should make us all happy--I wonder if he wants to pull the stove out--my husband & I both hope so.

Thanks for your help & information!!

Go to your 1st post and click edit. Youwill be able to change the name in the heading.

Just FYI
jay

Status
Not open for further replies.