Learning the new Englander Madison

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
There's no way I can answer that question. Can't tell you what the chances are of tornadoes either. Ask the neighbors about lightning strikes on their houses.

How do you get a 1/2" of creosote in just one month. That stove must have been blowing smoke like a freight train. Have you ever looked outside to see if it is clean or smoking.

I know I was outside the other day and I look up at the pipe from my wood stove and see smoke pouring out of it.
I quickly go inside the house to find the wife loaded wood in the stove on coals that were only hot enough to make it smolder but not take off and burn.
My gf does the same thing. They don't understand that u need a healthy bed of coals before closing the damper

Captain Lightning says that 4' will not make any difference. ;)

There's no way I can answer that question. Can't tell you what the chances are of tornadoes either. Ask the neighbors about lightning strikes on their houses.
We are in Oklahoma. A few years ago i watched a tornado go outside my bedroom window.
I dug around and found some hickory that was reading 14 - 16% Just lite a half load. Well see

14-16% after it was just re-split again right?

image.jpg
30 min in 300*

image.jpg
45 mins in 375
Havent opened the door since i closed it at 30 mins in. Smoke rolling out the chimney.

Well it stalled at 375 now dropping. Ill have to crack the door to get going again.

Will smoke roll out if you open the door now?

I looked up the weather in your area.. right now its 50 deg with 66% humidity, you might have draft resistance issues. Where you live do you have inversion problems..ie lots of foggy mornings?

I looked up the weather in your area.. right now its 50 deg with 66% humidity, you might have draft resistance issues. Where you live do you have inversion problems..ie lots of foggy mornings?
Thermo outside reads 40. I do live between the Walnut and Rich Mountains.

hmm, adds a different element, Im stumped, unless there is a plate or clog where the air comes into your stove. I personally don't think its your chimney or wood based on what you described in earlier posts.

Thermo outside reads 40. I do live between the Walnut and Rich Mountains.
Could be location requires more chimney to build draft. But I would check the chimney cap screen is the first candidate for checking. Once it starts clogging the best stove will get sluggish.

I have twins gratuating and going to college intge fall. Ones to be a Radioligist the other a Graphic Design.
Can you convince one to switch their major to thermodynamics? ;)
Thanks to everyone for the help. Im try to learn new tricks. Ill put a 12 hour anger to post restriction on myself in the future.
Good to see that you're using this as a character-building opportunity. ;)

It's possible that the Madison will turn out to be a stove needing a stronger draft that some
You'd think 17' would be plenty but I like your theory, maybe a picky stove in combination with warm outside temps... It averages 10 * warmer there than here, but I can burn at 50+ degrees on a rear-vented 16' stack since my stoves breath pretty easy, have small side-load doors and bypasses so smoke is less likely to roll out. If you think about it, having no bypass is like having couple of extra 90* elbows. Certainly 38's draft will improve as we get into the heart of the heating season and temps fall.

Last edited:
Reactions: tarzan
Ok so here is my promised time study. I have a Madison, with 5'2" of double wall up to ceiling, then class A from there, 10' of it. I have no problems with smoke pouring out of the stove when it is open, unless it's a VERY windy day, and on a cold start.

This is yesterday evenings burn and then some info from this morning when I got up. This is loading 6 4-6" splits, so 2/3 full firebox, avg % moisture ~20

10:44pm- 150 degree stovetop, some hot coals that I raked forward and loaded up the stove and used bellows to blow on coals for 3 minutes, door all the way open..
10:49pm- 147 stovetop, good amount of flames, especialy between wood and fiber board. Shut door to just cracked open.
10:52pm- 153 stovetop, secondaries going strong, most of wood covered in flames.
10:55pm- 175 stovetop and what moisture that was coming from end of splits is drying.
10:56pm- 205 stovetop, Shut door all the way-wood flames slow/die, secondaries almost completely take over.
10:59pm- 280/350 stovetop, (Left/Right as looking at stove)
11:01pm- 350/435 stovetop, very active secondaries at this point, I close air down 50%
11:03pm- 425/500 stovetop
11:06pm- 552/520 stovetop- I shut air all the way, only secondaries now, stack temp 300 at stove/base, 230 at ceiling (outside IR reading, double wall pipe)
11:08pm- 540/540 stovetop
11:11pm- 487/508 stovetop, firebox has went black/all flames/secondaries gone, temps dropping, I reopen air all the way.
11:13pm- 443/443 stovetop, whole firebox suddenly erupts in massive flames.
11:16pm- 550/585 stovetop
11:16pm- 575/616 stovetop (yes, same minute as previous measurement) Closed air again.
11:17pm- 628/650 stovetop, no flames from wood, only on top-secondaries going like crazy. Stack temp 341 at base, 237 at ceiling.
11:22pm- 575/600 stovetop, medium secondaries only.
11:27pm- 500/509 stovetop, it has reached was I consider 'cruising secondary action'
11:38pm- 580/560 stovetop, still cruising nicely
11:51pm- 580/592 stovetop, cruising great, stack temp 265 base, 213 at ceiling
12:09am- 640/580 stovetop, cruising
12:13am- 591/560 stovetop, great cruising, secondaries only still, Time for bed, goodnight!

This morning:
6:20am- 230/226 stovetop, just hot coals in the stove, rake forward and reload, about same amount of wood as last night. Flames start right up on wood, leave door all the way open.
6:30am- 264 stovetop, fire going great, so I shut door to only cracked open.
6:32am- 375/383 stovetop (Left/Right as looking at stove), I now close door fully air 100% open.
6:41am- 536/645 stovetop, close air all the way.
6:46am- 571/528 stovetop, fire has gone out again, I open air 100%
6:48am- 626/580 stovetop, firebox has suddenly been engulfed in flames again, temps rising, I close air all the way and know she will level off and cruise from there while I'm at work.

So there it is, all temps measured with IR gun, and this is now my standard procedure for the Madison. I don't think the AAS works anymore, I just adjust manually.
It does take longer to get going from a cold box, so I try to always reload between 150-250 stovetop as it's easier. The weird part about it to me is that as mentioned up top, the fire always dies out after I cut air all the way the first time, then I reopen air and 1-2 mins later its engulfed, and I can shut the air down all the way again after that and it'll cruise till it runs out of wood. Not sure why that is. Only for a few mins after reload is there any visible smoke from my chimney, this stove seems to burn very cleanly. I did have issues a little bit ago with getting stove up to temp, but that was with wood that was probably around 25%, give or take. This stove loves DRY wood. Any questions, feel free to ask. Thanks and I hope this helps other Madison owners. Overall I am pretty happy with the stove so far, it was definitely in my budget which was important to me.

Last edited:
11:11pm- 487/508 stovetop, firebox has went black/all flames/secondaries gone, temps dropping, I reopen air all the way.

The weird part about it to me is that as mentioned up top, the fire always dies out after I cut air all the way the first time, then I reopen air and 1-2 mins later its engulfed, and I can shut the air down

When I shut my air, I always do it in stages: 100, 75, 50, 25%. If I shut it to 0% from full open, I can kill the secondaries, and get backpuffs. My stove is a different burn technology, but many do the same with other stoves, cutting back incrementally.

BTW, after 11:11 above, I didn't see where you shut the air back down. I assume just a minute or two later. Did I miss that somewhere, or did you?

When I shut my air, I always do it in stages: 100, 75, 50, 25%. If I shut it to 0% from full open, I can kill the secondaries, and get backpuffs. My stove is a different burn technology, but many do the same with other stoves, cutting back incrementally.

BTW, after 11:11 above, I didn't see where you shut the air back down. I assume just a minute or two later. Did I miss that somewhere, or did you?

I just edited the post, yes, I closed the air again fully at 11:16. I have tried shutting the air incrementally like that, and it doesn't seem to matter. It always dies out the first time. Reopen air for a few minutes, then shut it again and it cruises good. (Sometimes I do have to re-crack the door instead of just opening air again)

Last edited:
This weekend ill stick a 4' section of pipe on top and see what happens.

Has the current pipe and cap been cleaned? Please understand that if you have a bunch of gunk in there and you all of a sudden get things working correctly...you have a pipe full of fuel waiting to be lit off. You don't want that. It would be bad.

Has the current pipe and cap been cleaned? Please understand that if you have a bunch of gunk in there and you all of a sudden get things working correctly...you have a pipe full of fuel waiting to be lit off. You don't want that. It would be bad.
Yes. I cleaned the pipe. Im sure it is a draft problem. I still stand by whst i said i sn earlier post. Englander knows how to built stoves and i dont think this one is any deferent.
Contacted Englander this morning got to send em some pics tonite. Let there mathematicians figure out how much pipe i need to get proper draft

Reactions: Woody Stover
Contacted Englander this morning got to send em some pics tonite. Let there mathematicians figure out how much pipe i need to get proper draft

Good. They are good folks to work with. Hopefully they can get you all fixed up. Keep us posted on the progress.

I just edited the post, yes, I closed the air again fully at 11:16. I have tried shutting the air incrementally like that, and it doesn't seem to matter. It always dies out the first time. Reopen air for a few minutes, then shut it again and it cruises good. (Sometimes I do have to re-crack the door instead of just opening air again)
If you can post a pic of your overnite load.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will you be checking the flue cap screen closely today?