Extruded Aluminium Plate Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanW

Good day

Any thoughts on dealing with the one million nails/cleats on the underside of the main floor subfloor? The fasteners are from a mix of Hardwood and Tile floor coverings.

I don't want to bend them over as I won't get good contact with the plates. Side Cutters leave a little nub and I don't want to pound up and loosen the flooring. I suppose Zip cut disk is an option. I could experiment, but I thought I would ask/learn here first.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Dan.

A 3 1/2 inch right angle grinder would do it, kinda slow an no fun probably. Maybe a heavy duty vibrating saw like in the infomercials, but for real.

Thanks Elliot,
I'd bet on the angle grinder with a zip cut, I think that the vibrating saw would wear me out as it would take forever. I'm not sure what I'm hoping for by posting this question. Maybe a miracle (easy button) like Neet for hair.

I guess I should just suit up and try a few things. One bay at a time...

Any thoughts on dealing with the one million nails/cleats on the underside of the main floor subfloor?

Maybe consider panel radiators instead of staple up?;)

I agree on the angle grinder with the thin metal cutting blades. Should be about as fast as possible. I wonder about marking your plate layout before grinding so you are only dealing with the cleats that are really in the way.

Good luck,

Noah

Maybe consider panel radiators instead of staple up?;)

Noah
Thanks Noah,

I was hoping for that cozy feeling of heated floor (likely supplemented by a rad or two in the living room, tall ceiling).

Basement and third floor will get panel radiators. Radiators will be oversized to hope to draw down storage. Bathrooms will get kickspace heaters.

Boiler will live in the shop. (4) Loops of 250' 1/2 " in slab. Upstairs of shop undecided (~1000sqft. wide open)

I will try to find time to sketch up my "big picture" in the next little while. Tons of questions.

Dan.

Dan; I recently removed the 1.7 million nail ends from between my joists. Most I could snap off with a pair of linesmen pliers and they broke flush. Some I had to grind with a metal cutting wheel. we call them an .045 disk. I was able to get an arbor and disks at the hrdware store and used them in my makita 18v drill. Watch out for sparks, there will be plenty! I used a windex bottle with water and sprayed the joists after. Did not want a delayed fire. People have burned there houses doing similar grinding in walls etc.

And a full-face respirator. You can wash that metal dust out of your hair but you'll never get it out of your eyes.

Suspended tube radiant floors -- no plates. And you can leave the nails in place. Not as efficient at heat transfer but not as expensive either.

Status
Not open for further replies.