Eye protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2013
Minnesota
Usually when I am sawing and splitting I wear eye protection but once or twice when I was only going to be at it for a little while I've forgetten to bring my eye glass things, and rather than go back and get them I've just went ahead without. Is this a horrible idea? Once or twice the wind has blown the wrong way and I've gotten some annoying sawdust in my face but otherwise I haven't really had any near accidents and I guess I'm afraid (actually probably the wife is afraid) I'm letting my guard down too much. I guess I'm not even entirely sure what they are even supposed to be protecting me from -- I'm assuming sawdust? flying bits of metal from my wedge? pokey branches snapping into my face?

Usually when I am sawing and splitting I wear eye protection but once or twice when I was only going to be at it for a little while I've forgetten to bring my eye glass things, and rather than go back and get them I've just went ahead without. Is this a horrible idea? Once or twice the wind has blown the wrong way and I've gotten some annoying sawdust in my face but otherwise I haven't really had any near accidents and I guess I'm afraid (actually probably the wife is afraid) I'm letting my guard down too much. I guess I'm not even entirely sure what they are even supposed to be protecting me from -- I'm assuming sawdust? flying bits of metal from my wedge? pokey branches snapping into my face?

I always protect the eyes. Odds are low anything will happen, but the outcome could be catastrophic.

Reactions: Descending sparky
I see guys all the time without glasses on. I used to be one. I always wear them now. Probably from working in hospital ER's for 15 yrs.

Reactions: raybonz
I always fear metal from the wedge getting in my eye

anytime I have to do a back cut, my face is getting peppered with saw dust. That alone is enough reason to wear the glasses.

Came pretty darn close to using a dust mask yesterday while cutting a bunch of railroad ties to small enough sizes to get out of the yard. Damn those things stank and the taste stayed in my mouth through a lot of today. My work gloves and clothes went straight into the wash. Hope to never have to cut those stanky things ever again.

Reactions: Hills Hoard
I wear prescription eyeglasses and that is all I've ever worn even when I used to saw lumber. I am not against safety wear but do think sometimes people seem to go way overboard. Do whatever you are comfortable with. If you feel you need all the protection that is available, then buy it and wear it. If not, then get only what you feel you need.

I wear safety glasses, ear plugs, and a hardhat 5 days a week.....and it gets really old. Now, don't get me wrong, certain tree jobs I DO wear all those items....but sometimes I don't. One instance is when it's really REALLY humid outside, or when we are cutting in the pouring rain (and YES, I cut a lot in the rain in the summertime). I just can't keep the glasses on my face, they fog up, and sweat always gets into my eyes.....that hurts just about as bad as saw chips in the eye, IMO.

I will say this.....it's better to be safe than sorry. And when cutting stuff like railroad ties, you definitely SHOULD be wearing breathing protection....that creosote isn't good for your lungs....

I have a mesh screen on my helmet. Glasses would be full of sweat in a few mins. Rather be able to see and take the minor chance of something going through the mesh.

I wear glasses in the garage when grinding stuff though.

Absolutely I would not run the chainsaw without my helmet with mesh screen on.

Here's the solution to your problem: A checklist (Attached)

Attachments

• ChainsawChecklist.pdf
    14.2 KB · Views: 152
I buy safety glasses a half dozen at a time ($1.99 on sale) and keep them in various places:

http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-resistant-safety-glasses-94357.html

Wash them in hot soapy water with microfiber cloth (won't scratch them). Dry with microfiber cloth and they last a long time. The only time they get trashed is when they get run over by some vehicle or stepped on.

When wearing a forestry helmet, they don't fog under metal mesh shield.

Been wearing safety glasses for many years in the factory so I am used to them, I have a few pairs of bifocal safety glasses, cuz I need em for close up.
I do like the helmet with screen and ear muffs, but it does get hot under there, so when not cutting it comes off fast, but I wear the glasses all the time, poked a stick in my eye one time , never again

I wear prescription eyeglasses and that is all I've ever worn even when I used to saw lumber.
Any kind of glasses (even sunglasses) should be fine. We're generally not concerned with impact, just particles.

I wear safety glasses, ear plugs, and a hardhat 5 days a week.....and it gets really old. Now, don't get me wrong, certain tree jobs I DO wear all those items....but sometimes I don't. One instance is when it's really REALLY humid outside, or when we are cutting in the pouring rain (and YES, I cut a lot in the rain in the summertime). I just can't keep the glasses on my face, they fog up, and sweat always gets into my eyes.....that hurts just about as bad as saw chips in the eye, IMO.

I picked up the cheap Husky combo helmet with ear protection and mesh screen face guard. I wear it with a sweat band to keep the sweat out of my eyes (fat sedentary middle aged weekend warrior running a chainsaw in an orange helmet - what a dork). However I do not wear my prescription glasses or other eye protection under the mesh guard. It keeps out 90% or more of the debris but dust gets through with wind. Maybe I should still wear eye protection under the mesh?

Sawing: chaps, ear protection, gloves, and glasses. Splitting with the splitter: ear protection and gloves. Although I've given thought to wearing a protective cup. _g

fv

USFS chansaw training requires a screen on the hardhat and safety glasses. I have a few dents in my screen from stuff getting kicked back. I must admit when normally sawing I trust the screen as the glasses flog up.

Any kind of glasses (even sunglasses) should be fine. We're generally not concerned with impact, just particles.
A shard or chip from the top of a splitting wedge can go right through your body. sun glasses or 'scrips won't stop it. How you deal with safety is up to you, but it is good practice to grind your wedges when they begin to mushroom. You can get rubber band tops for wedges also.

As I get older I am starting to realize that I am not invincible. Several farmers around me either died or had to drag themselves to safety after an accident. I always wear safety glasses.

I can't drag my ass to safety if I can't see where I am going.

How does a wedge mushroom? I've used splitters that were 30+ years old and the wedge was still in near perfect shape.

A shard or chip from the top of a splitting wedge can go right through your body. sun glasses or 'scrips won't stop it. How you deal with safety is up to you, but it is good practice to grind your wedges when they begin to mushroom. You can get rubber band tops for wedges also.

How does a wedge mushroom? I've used splitters that were 30+ years old and the wedge was still in near perfect shape.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant a steel wedge used for splitting by hand.

I borrowed a splitter for some sugar maple last year, but the way I burn, I actually find hand splitting at least on par. I have a very frugal stove that takes 12" to 14" wood, I use about 6 face cords a year with some supplimental propane and electric space heating, and have plenty of woodlot that routinely furnishes downed and cull Ash, Black Birch, Locust, Beach, Iron wood, you name it. I only cut to about 14" dia. and avoid the gnarly stuff. Different strokes!

Status
Not open for further replies.