F3500, how clean is your glass?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ShaneMac

Sep 28, 2021
Ontario
How often do you clean your glass, do you need to clean your glass?

It depends on what is on the glass and what you want it to look like.

There are no safety concerns if you don’t want to clean glass.

Creosote can etch the glass, so that should be removed if you want to keep the glass nice. Soot should probably be removed every once in a while. I use a wet paper towel dipped in ash to do it. Heavy buildup can be removed with a razor blade.

I clean mine about once a week. I shop vac the gasket then use Easy Off fume free, wipe with paper towels, more Easy Off if it needs it, and follow up with glass cleaner. I like clean glass.

With my new heat pump working down lower I have not used stove in last two weeks. Will be getting -5F tomorrow night. Will see how well it works.

Bought some rutland glass cleaner and it didn't work as well as I would have expected so thru a new blade in my razor and went to work. Cleaned up nicely. I should probably do it more often or run stove hotter. Some creosote likes to creep onto the gasket which is prob why last one I replaced after buying it used was hard as gas when replacing it.

I'm not second guessing if I should keep the F3500 now that new heat pump is installed. And get a smaller secondary stove like a PE Super to be additive heat on super cold nights yet not heat me out of basement when running. When I got it, it was to replace my old Napolean 1900 which was primary heat in winter and the F3500 was great for that.

I have a F5200 and clean the glass anytime the door temperature drops below 150F. This is usual at some point every day or every other day, either in the morning first thing or if I've been away from the house for an extended period of time. I wet a sponge from the instant hot water (140F) put some Bar Keepers Friend on the scotch bright side and grab two paper towels, one also moist with instant hot water. Quick rub down with the sponge, wipe clean with wet paper towel then dry. Stir the coals, throw the paper towel in the stove and fire back up. If there's anything in the corners, I'll use a razor blade. The whole thing takes about two minutes and the coals have a chance to heat back up in the process.
I like crystal clear glass and the slow dance of the blue, cat flames.