F400,500,600 and Encore

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CSAW

Sep 6, 2010
Fl
Looked at stoves today in person and got more confused. The area I am going to heat is 1200 square feet. From the specs a F 3 CB would be the correct size. However that thing is dinky and would look like a lunch box in the corner. Since we live in Florida I'm afraid that if we get a larger stove we won't be able to burn it hot enough to keep it cleaned out. Wondering what kind of problems I could expect if any.

Wife really wants double doors which is why I threw the Encore and F600 in the bunch. From what I read here people prefer the Jotuls to the VCs. This will be a corner install and the Encore has very large corner clearances. Any other stoves we should look at? Jotul and VC is all this dealer had. Difficult to find in Fl.

I want to leave the walls unshielded.
Really want to be able to burn with doors open.
Single door not really a deal breaker.
Like the top load idea, however I have never used one and not a deal breaker either.

Thanks

Trust me, burning with the doors wide open is way overrated.

To advise, some more information about the house and area where the stove will be is needed. Also, is this north or south FL?

Stove will be in corner of 20x21 living room which combines with a 10x10 dining room that attaches to the kitchen. Two bedrooms off of a small hallway off living room. Stove will be a little closer to bedroom area than kitchen but in a corner on an outside wall of living room. Located central Fl near coast. Just south of Daytona. Stove probably more for fun and novelty than a real need for heat.

CSAW said:
Stove will be in corner of 20x21 living room which combines with a 10x10 dining room that attaches to the kitchen. Two bedrooms off of a small hallway off living room. Stove will be a little closer to bedroom area than kitchen but in a corner on an outside wall of living room. Located central Fl near coast. Just south of Daytona. Stove probably more for fun and novelty than a real need for heat.

Yeah, Central florida doesn't have that many heating days.

As was already mentioned, burning with the door(s) open is something lots of folks think they want to do, try it a few times, and never bother with it again. I bought the screen for our old Encore so we could do just that. Used it once or twice for the stove, then repurposed it for screening potting soil.

We had an Encore cat. Now we have a Jotul Oslo F500. We loved the look of the VC, but the Oslo is a much friendlier stove to burn. Both of these stoves could provide nearly 100% of our heating needs for a 2000 sf house in eastern PA, so they would probably be oversized for your installation. With your house/location, the F600 is way oversized.

The F400 is a beautiful stove that's more the right size for your situation. It's not a good stove for burning with the door open, though, especially if it's rear vented. I've read reports that without a really good draft, you can get some smoke spill into the room with the door left open.

Also, the F500 and the 600 have side loading doors, not real good for corner installs.

The F3CB sounds more than adequate. The Morso 2110 would also work. That would be my choice or the F100 Nordic. The F400 might work, but it would be loafing most of the time. And if this is a one-story install, the F400 will need a good stack coming straight off the top to draft well in mild temperatures.

To understand what we mean by mild temperature burning, read up on the florida bungalow syndrome here: http://www.gulland.ca/florida_bungalow_syndrome.htm

BeGreen said:
The F3CB sounds more than adequate. The Morso 2110 would also work. That would be my choice or the F100 Nordic. The F400 might work, but it would be loafing most of the time. And if this is a one-story install, the F400 will need a good stack coming straight off the top to draft well in mild temperatures.

To understand what we mean by mild temperature burning, read up on the florida bungalow syndrome here: http://www.gulland.ca/florida_bungalow_syndrome.htm

Thanks for the advice and link. After reading it 5 or 6 times I think I understand it somewhat.
Looking_anim.gif
We really want to get something at least the size of the 400 just so it doesn't look goofy in the room. I guess the 500 is out huh? I have read about ashes falling out of the 500 when the door is opened, does the 400 suffer from this also?

Pretty much sold on the Jotul, but does anyone know anything about the Napolean 1600c?

EDIT: One more, PE T4?

Thanks again

The PE T4 might be a good fit as well.

We really want to get something at least the size of the 400 just so it doesn't look goofy in the room. I guess the 500 is out huh? I have read about ashes falling out of the 500 when the door is opened, does the 400 suffer from this also?

The Oslo (F500) has a more than adequate ash lip, so ashes shouldn't be an issue.
If you're doing a corner install, & having a hearth professional do the job,
you're going to have to get the side door locking kit.
The Oslo is not approved for a corner install without it.
So, in essence, you're paying for more stove than you need
& you'll have to pay for the lock kit as well.
Might as well get the Castine (F400)...
A 55K BTU appliance should be MORE than enuff for Florida...

I heat 1,100 sq. ft. in New England with an F400 Castine. It is more than adequate for 1,200 in Florida. You could certainly get an F500 if you want, but you don't need a stove that big. I would not get an F3CB simply because the firebox is frustratingly small. The F400 Castine really has the smallest firebox that is still able to fit the typical 16-18" cut firewood with ease.

How tall is your chimney/roof? Do you plan to top or rear vent the stove? The Castine does draft a bit better with a top vent.

I should add, if you can afford a Jotul, you will not go wrong this stove. They are of excellent quality, easy to use, and will literally last you decades if you take care of them. As the oldest stove maker in the world, Jotul builds a very good stove.

Random thoughts . . .

As I was reading this thread I was thinking . . . I don't care where in Florida you live . . . for a 1,200 square foot house the F600 is way, way too large and even at that size the Oslo is too large . . . I mean I'm running the Oslo in my home here in Maine at 1,800 square feet and this is my one and only woodstove . . . and my main source of heat in the winter. If you insist on going large -- of the three stoves you mentioned originally I would go with the Castine . . . but even that may be too large.

Several other contenders were mentioned here . . . worth checking out . . . and if you have a problem finding stove dealers in your area . . . there is at least one member here who sells stoves on-line.

Skip the VC . . . well at least I would . . . but that's just me and my opinion . . . for now . . . past problems with warranties, quality control and expensive parts . . . but I reserve my right to change my mind since at least a year has come and gone and I haven't heard many bad things about VC . . . so who knows . . . maybe their past problems are in the past. Me . . . I still would want to go with a company that has a near bullet-proof reputation for several years.

Unshielded walls . . . no problem . . . just make sure you pay attention to clearances.

Doors open . . . most everyone here who has bought a stove and a screen thinking it would be neat to have the "fireplace look" reports that they tried it a few times and then the novelty (and lack of much heat) wore off and they put the screen into storage.

Side loading is good . . . but some stoves do not allow you to side load on corner installs . . . as was mentioned earlier.

Single vs. double doors . . . I guess I never saw the appeal in double doors . . . I always figured it meant less viewing "glass" . . . but to each their own.

Good luck in the search.

The F3CB !!

My buddy in Michigan uses one and loves it except for the lack of overnight burn due to small firebox.

I would not hesitate to install in your application.

The VC's have a little more maintenance than the Jotul in my experience.

ATB,
Mike

Agreed, if you want to burn cleanly, the F3CB is more than adequate. Maybe pimp up the hearth to give it more visual presence or put a fresnel lens in front of it :)? At a safe distance of course.

BeGreen said:
Agreed, if you want to burn cleanly, the F3CB is more than adequate. Maybe pimp up the hearth to give it more visual presence or put a fresnel lens in front of it :)? At a safe distance of course.

Or just trade the wife for this one.
n:ANd9GcQeqZ2EaeO34VY__f0zfUMvjLffMA51vuLEaJBRutQmuoDJuR0&t=1&usg=__cJTO4IIggS78CONZ3lBzKnMrSIc=.jpg

Since you are worried about the "presence" of the stove, why not go with a better looking stove in the first place.... say a Hearthstone Tribute...?

:) very attractive, lots of ambiance, plenty big enough for your Florida situation.

Dakotas Dad said:
Since you are worried about the "presence" of the stove, why not go with a better looking stove in the first place.... say a Hearthstone Tribute...?

:) very attractive, lots of ambiance, plenty big enough for your Florida situation.

We are kind of partial to the traditional cast iron look. After lots of reading I think we are going with a Alderlea T4. Main reason is it tucks into the corner tightly taking up less room plus it will allow me to run the chimney straight up without any offset. Recommendations for dealers?

Thanks everyone.

CSAW said:
Dakotas Dad said:

We are kind of partial to the traditional cast iron look. After lots of reading I think we are going with a Alderlea T4. Main reason is it tucks into the corner tightly taking up less room plus it will allow me to run the chimney straight up without any offset. Recommendations for dealers?

Thanks everyone.

Well if you are looking at PEs and have had some issues finding dealers in Florida you can always check out the member I mentioned to you in the PM . . . no personal experience with Tom . . . but if you ask folks about their experiences with him in buying a stove you might get some good feedback.

firefighterjake said:
CSAW said:
Dakotas Dad said:

Thanks everyone.

Well if you are looking at PEs and have had some issues finding dealers in Florida you can always check out the member I mentioned to you in the PM . . . no personal experience with Tom . . . but if you ask folks about their experiences with him in buying a stove you might get some good feedback.

Awaiting a response from him. He could still be eating breakfast about now.

Thanks

The F500 would be my choice, but for the area you need to heat and the climate you live in, I think it would be too powerful.

Just my opinion but double doors are a pain.

Have you looked at a Jotul 602? It would heat that area so long as you dont get below freezing, does it get down to freezing in Florida?

Well a decision has been made and the stove ordered. We went with the Alderlea T4. Reasons, It fits the most closely in the corner which will allow me to run the chimney straight up without a jog, all the rest would have required one. Going to just miss truss, all others were right under it. (hope my measuring is correct) Will require the smallest hearth/pad. Seems like all the others would be in the middle of the room. Have seen comments like gentle heat which works for me in Fl. Think it looks pretty good. Seems to have mostly happy owners like other stoves mentioned here. Free blower this month with purchase.

Ordered from Tom (Chimneysweep). Talked to him on the phone a couple times and he was very pleasant. Answered all my questions, didn't try to rush me off the phone etc. Anxiously awaiting arrival. Hopefully starting on hearth build today. Thanks for the heads up about Chimneysweep from Firefighterjake.

Thanks to everyone else too.

CSAW said:
Well a decision has been made and the stove ordered. We went with the Alderlea T4. Reasons, It fits the most closely in the corner which will allow me to run the chimney straight up without a jog, all the rest would have required one. Going to just miss truss, all others were right under it. (hope my measuring is correct) Will require the smallest hearth/pad. Seems like all the others would be in the middle of the room. Have seen comments like gentle heat which works for me in Fl. Think it looks pretty good. Seems to have mostly happy owners like other stoves mentioned here. Free blower this month with purchase.

Ordered from Tom (Chimneysweep). Talked to him on the phone a couple times and he was very pleasant. Answered all my questions, didn't try to rush me off the phone etc. Anxiously awaiting arrival. Hopefully starting on hearth build today. Thanks for the heads up about Chimneysweep from Firefighterjake.

Thanks to everyone else too.

No problem . . . now I just have to talk to Tom and tell him he should give me a commission . . . ;) Never met this member myself, but I know a lot of other folks here have bought from him and have had nothing but good things to say about him . . . and I also know a lot of folks speak highly of the PE line . . . I actually looked into the line myself, but the local store selling PEs didn't have anything to look at in person.

Good choice. That should be a nice setup. Tom and crew are first rate. They'll treat you well.

Status
Not open for further replies.