F400 Castine Q's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robere210

Nov 25, 2012
I grew up with a woodstove supplying the only heat for our farmhouse, and I heated my woodworking shop with a woodstove for several years, so I'm somewhat familiar with wood heat. I bought a used Jotul F400 Castine last summer. It's an older model--the one with a split front door--but I don't know exactly how old it is. It has no warping that I can see, and no cracks, and the seller apparently used it only occasionally in Cal. coastal country. Anyone familiar with the older F400's? I've read a lot of the posts here about the F400, but they all seem to be about the newer F400--with the large, single door. Does anyone know if the older F400 Castine is as draft-sensitive as the newer F400 seems to be? Do's? Don'ts? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.