F400 still wants to overfire at night

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My firebox is 2 cubic feet, yours is about 1.75 from what I can find.
With good wood, I load at 930, bed by 1030, up at 530. Usually plenty of coals and warmth in the house.
You get up and load in the middle of the night you should plan on being up for a bit to do the whole burn in and air turn down. Okay during extremes, but not a pattern I would want to get into.

My firebox is 2 cubic feet, yours is about 1.75 from what I can find.
With good wood, I load at 930, bed by 1030, up at 530. Usually plenty of coals and warmth in the house.
You get up and load in the middle of the night you should plan on being up for a bit to do the whole burn in and air turn down. Okay during extremes, but not a pattern I would want to get into.
oil is dropping fast right now but it wasnt last year. ill get up and loose a bit of sleep to keep that thing from turning on when its wicked cold

last night was better. i really didn't feel like staying up late watching this thing so i set the heat to 65 . i raked coals forward, and just put 3 large splits in. 2 in the back one in the front. left door crack until it lit, about 25 minutes. closed door and watched it for a minute. backed air down to little under half over the course of about 10 minutes. seemed like thats where it wanted to run. my wife stayed up and watched it because she had today off. i woke up at 12:30 to find the stove still running like that at around 450. woke up to find a great coal bed even with just 3 splits. now it wasn't overly cold last night, maybe 37? so i assume thats why this worked out this way.
Glad to hear this. I'd stick with loading as large splits as you have for the overnight, as many as you can fit in once it gets colder. I think you'll continue to see better results, less taking off of the fire. The configuration you used seems to have worked well. If you try others without as good results, I'd go back to the one you used last night. Having more f the logs in the back delays their burning, so naturally slowing things down and evening out the burn more.

Status
Not open for further replies.