F500 Fan kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CarbonNeutral

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2009
Nashoba Valley(ish), MA
Unbelievably we are actually coming close to choosing a stove. The Jotul f500 is well up there - size, color (ivory), side loader, looks, well-reviewed....

It does concern me though that I can't find any reference to a fan kit for the stove... This is intended as a whole house heater - can it be effective without fans on the stove?

they do make a fan kit for this stove, but you must also add the rear heatshield option to create a convection space to move the air... if the house is an open floor plan, you probably will not need it, but if is not so open, you will

Thanks, they fail to mention this on their website, so I'll be in discussion with the dealer....

As summit said, you may not need it. If you have good air circulation in the room/house, you may be fine without it. My F400 heats a decent amount of space with just a fan that sits in the corner of the room blowing air around. If this stove is tucked in side a fireplace, you may be better off with the fan.

summit said:
they do make a fan kit for this stove, but you must also add the rear heatshield option to create a convection space to move the air... if the house is an open floor plan, you probably will not need it, but if is not so open, you will

I think this pretty much answers your question . . . when I went with the Oslo I asked the dealer about the fan and his advise was to try it first without the fan and see how well the heat moved in the home . . . he said the vast majority of his Oslo customers did not buy the fan option and did not come back to buy the fan. Depending on your house lay out there is a pretty good chance you will not need the fan . . . and if you do you can always buy it after trying it without the fan to save some money. I did however buy the optional rear heatshield . . . mainly for the peace of mind as reducing clearances wasn't a major issue for me. I think I do get some natural convection heating (a little, not a lot) just by having the rear heatshield.)

Great advice, thanks. I will be placing the stove closer to a wall (non-combustible). I wonder if the fan requires space on the back or does it fit below?

CarbonNeutral said:
Great advice, thanks. I will be placing the stove closer to a wall (non-combustible). I wonder if the fan requires space on the back or does it fit below?
not enough to worry about. it will have room as long as you follow Jotuls clearances

i would not bother with the fan it cost a good bit and is not all that usefull the stove should do well with out it.

CarbonNeutral said:

the fan actually has a bracket that mounts to the same bolts that hold the rear legs on the stove.. there is also another bracket that mounts on it for the controlss.. the fan kinda hangs out to the bottom rear of the stove, but the heatshield / fan combo do not add a huge amount of depth the the stove's setup.

Excellent. Done deal in that case. Ivory.

Now to look at stone veneers to redo front of chimney...

Thanks all.

Mine heats 2,000 sf, no fan, no problem. On really cold (below 0) days, I have a fan on the other side of the house pushing air towards the stove room. I think you'd find that much more effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.