F600 Coming Up to Heat Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

remkel

Minister of Fire
Jan 21, 2010
Southwest NH
I am new to the F600 and am wondering if anyone can provide me guidance on how long it takes for this stove to come up to heat? It seems as though she is a slow climber, but once she is heated up, she will push the heat out. I guess it is kind of like a woman????

Remkel said:
I am new to the F600 and am wondering if anyone can provide me guidance on how long it takes for this stove to come up to heat? It seems as though she is a slow climber, but once she is heated up, she will push the heat out. I guess it is kind of like a woman????

How long are we talking?

Tonight it was about 30-45 min from a cold start. I wonder if the warmth outside is messing with the draft...

it is up to heat now and cruising....of course, last burn in fire and tonight the smoke alarms decide to go off.....

Remkel said:
Tonight it was about 30-45 min from a cold start. I wonder if the warmth outside is messing with the draft...

it is up to heat now and cruising....of course, last burn in fire and tonight the smoke alarms decide to go off.....

What temp did you hit by 30-45 minutes?

was just under 400- It may have been a little longer- my mind was distracted

There's a lot of mass there to heat up . . . with the Oslo I'm quite happy if I can start getting some decent heat off it in a half hour or so . . . once up and running these stoves will throw a lot of heat . . . they just take a while to get there which is just one reason I prefer in some ways to be burning 24/7 vs. doing 1-2 fires like I am now.

+1 on opening a nearby window or door to add more draft. The colder it gets out, the better the draft gets. That 600 is a big boy so I dont see anything wrong with it taking a little time to start putting out heat. It certainly wont give off as fast as steel.

firefighterjake said:
There's a lot of mass there to heat up . . . with the Oslo I'm quite happy if I can start getting some decent heat off it in a half hour or so . . . once up and running these stoves will throw a lot of heat . . . they just take a while to get there which is just one reason I prefer in some ways to be burning 24/7 vs. doing 1-2 fires like I am now.

Wait a minute, and people complain about soapstone stoves? :lol:

The Heritage takes about 45 minutes to start throwing heat from a cold start.

BrowningBAR said:
firefighterjake said:

Wait a minute, and people complain about soapstone stoves? :lol:

The Heritage takes about 45 minutes to start throwing heat from a cold start.

I think someone here once said it pretty accurately . . . it often seems to come down to the pure mass of the stove whether it be steel, cast iron or soapstone . . . well that and the fact that they are space heaters and it takes a bit to heat up the space. Personally, I think 30-60 minutes is more than acceptable to start throwing off some appreciable heat from a cold start . . . no matter what the stove is build out of.

thanks for the input everyone.

To answer the question- yes, there was a window, door and another window open as I was doing the break in burn. Listening to the air sucking into this beast, I am glad that I will be getting an OAK as my house is pretty tight and I think after a while I would be able to stick the house to a windshield because of the vacuum :)

I was thinking that is a whole lot of cast to heat up and that may be why it took so long...also, I plan on letting the kindling and other small stuff burn longer to make a good bed of coals before placing larger stuff onto the fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.