F600 OAK Install Frustrations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

remkel

Minister of Fire
Jan 21, 2010
Southwest NH
AAARRRRGGGHHHH!

Went to the dealer that sold me my F600 today to get the parts needed to install an OAK. I was informed that they could only order the part that attaches to the stove, but that any other parts (pipe, through wall pieces) would have to be purchased at another location. I was informed that I would need 3" pipe for the connection to the OAK.

SO, I went to the shops competitor down the road and asked for 3" pipe for connection to the OAK (I am looking for something flexible rather than rigid) and was informed they only had 2" or 4"......GGGRRRRRRRR! So, other than having the stove part on order, I am no closer to installing my OAK.

Question- is it possible to use flexible metal hose like you would use on a dryer to install the OAK? This would make the install so much easier as I could use a dryer vent through the wall, remove the flaps from it, install a screen to keep the critters out, and purchase the hose all at Home Depot.

Thoughts?

EDIT- Just read throught he owners manual for the F600- the manual calls for 4"pipe for the OAK- now my dealer doesn't even know the correct size of the pipe.......

Most people use the flex dryer vent, that's what I used on both of my stoves.

Todd said:
Most people use the flex dryer vent, that's what I used on both of my stoves.

That is what I thought, but I was told differently today when i went to my local hardware store.

BK supplies aluminum flexible hose with their kit - 3" diameter. I usually mix in a couple 3" galvanized pieces here and there to make things look better. Really anything will work as long as it's the correct diameter.

cmonSTART said:
BK supplies aluminum flexible hose with their kit - 3" diameter. I usually mix in a couple 3" galvanized pieces here and there to make things look better. Really anything will work as long as it's the correct diameter.

I am thinking some of the cardboard inners from the wrapping paper in my basement may be the next option......thanks for the info

We did an install about a month ago. Ours was a 4" pipe. for the F600 OAK.
We used solid aluminum vent pipe and taped the seams, but don't see what you couldn't use flex pipe.

Hopefully someone with a OAK and a F600 will chime in here but I'd wait to buy your connection pieces until you have the kit in hand. My OAK for the Rangeley specifies 4" pipe.

Edit: See Post immediately above this one!

This is a cold air intake. 4" dryer vent pipe should work fine. They make rigid and flex pipe for this + aluminum elbows and metal tape. Be sure to put some rodent screening on the intake outlet.

Did you ever get the adapter for the F600? I was thinking of setting up an OAK for my F500.

Status
Not open for further replies.