face cord

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A face cord is 4x8x the length of the wood, usually 16 or 18". Although it is not a standard unit of measure, around me they sell wood by the face cord - they often call it a cord.

It is simply 4x8 and a single row. What percentage of a full cord it is depends on the log length. 4x4x8 as you mentioned is a full cord.

As mentioned, depending on length it is around a third of a cord.

In this part of the world if some one tried to sell me a face cord?? I would give him something in the face that he would never forget!! No one, but no one, even tries to do business in that deceitful way in these parts.

Think about it for about 2 seconds? Just how long would that piece of wood last you in a cold winter? 2 weeks, or maybe 3 at best?? A totally Crap Measure in my opinion!!

I had a guy offer me a face cord for $100. I asked what legnth? He replied he would cut to legnth. I told him I would like 8 footers. He never showed.

wolfkiller said:
I had a guy offer me a face cord for $100. I asked what legnth? He replied he would cut to legnth. I told him I would like 8 footers. He never showed.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It really is sad that in a lot of places, including Michigan, that people sell wood this way. It all started as a rick, or face cord but soon got shortened into just a cord. I find that most folks around here don't even know what a true cord of wood is.

However, I see no real problem in selling wood this way as long as the buyer knows what he is paying for; that is, the quantity of wood for the price.

sonnyinbc said:
In this part of the world if some one tried to sell me a face cord?? I would give him something in the face that he would never forget!! No one, but no one, even tries to do business in that deceitful way in these parts.

Think about it for about 2 seconds? Just how long would that piece of wood last you in a cold winter? 2 weeks, or maybe 3 at best?? A totally Crap Measure in my opinion!!

Sonny it's not so bad if you grow up with the face cord measurement...that's all we use around here.

savageactor7 said:
sonnyinbc said:

Sonny it's not so bad if you grow up with the face cord measurement...that's all we use around here.

Down here, we just call it a pickup load (piled not stacked, and cut to length); this generally consists of 1/3 cord.

Backwoods Savage said:
wolfkiller said:

It really is sad that in a lot of places, including Michigan, that people sell wood this way. It all started as a rick, or face cord but soon got shortened into just a cord. I find that most folks around here don't even know what a true cord of wood is.

However, I see no real problem in selling wood this way as long as the buyer knows what he is paying for; that is, the quantity of wood for the price.

It's the same way here. If you tell some one your price in full cord or cord terms they think you are ripping them off. It goes something like this, "Your charging $225 for a cord of wood ????!!!!!!! Holy schnickeys , I can get it from another supplier for $75!" I then go on to tell them that 3-16" face cord (3x75=225) equals 1 cord. It confused too many customers the first few years I was in business so I just stick to selling by the face cord to avoid confusion. Face cord is the only term people know here.

Got a pickup load (piled) of 16" split wet-seasoned (3yrs old so they said) for $80 delivered. Feel I got ripped by the time I split the big stuff and stacked it. Would have probably spent less than $80 on natural gas for the forced air for the amount of time this wood will last. Wont do that again.

When I farmed with horses I always wished I could harness some of the people wearing blinders but then I remembered my horses were smarter.

I know not where you're from but around here, a facecord is 16"x4'x8'. Check with your locals to see how it's handled.

LEES WOOD-CO said:
Backwoods Savage said:
wolfkiller said:

It's the same way here. If you tell some one your price in full cord or cord terms they think you are ripping them off. It goes something like this, "Your charging $225 for a cord of wood ????!!!!!!! Holy schnickeys , I can get it from another supplier for $75!" I then go on to tell them that 3-16" face cord (3x75=225) equals 1 cord. It confused too many customers the first few years I was in business so I just stick to selling by the face cord to avoid confusion. Face cord is the only term people know here.

Lee, you could advertise a face cord for one price or a full cord (3 face cords) for another with a little off if the go for the full cord.

Backwoods Savage said:
Lee, you could advertise a face cord for one price or a full cord (3 face cords) for another with a little off if the go for the full cord.
If I uderstood, his problem is that the competition is not advertising a face cord as a "face cord", simply as a cord. If he adds the word "face" the buyer is confused. If he adds the word "full", the buyer is comparing it in price to the other guy's full "cord".

LEES WOOD-CO said:
Backwoods Savage said:
wolfkiller said:

same here ricks are 50 and buy 3 for 130.00 most people just get confessed! (when sellin the whole cord)unless they heat with it 24/7

Backwoods Savage said:
[Lee, you could advertise a face cord for one price or a full cord (3 face cords) for another with a little off if the go for the full cord.

Around here, people know what a facecord is and not necesarily what a cord is.
I bought twenty facecord this year and the guy delivered at least 26.

I can get all the free pine & soft wood I want. I'd rather pay for oak & hardwood. Like many others, I have a job, house to work on and other things in life to do rather than search for wood.
I do enjoy still cutting & splitting for exercise though.

Nothing but face cords around here, but you usually get good deals. I bought 4 so called face cords of Oak last fall for $160, and after I split and stacked it, I ended up with 6 face or 2 full cords. I don't care what they call it as long as it's an honest deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.