Facebook...how about Facecord

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amellefson

Jan 3, 2011
Southern WI
My wife is frequently on the computer looking at Facebook, and I have always given her a hard time about it. Now, after my new found enjoyment of hearth.com. I will forever refer to it as Facecord. "Honey, I will be on the computer, looking at Facecord, if you need me." Any other people like that out there?

My wife asks if I am on with my wood friends?

My wife and I have a similar arrangement. Whats your facebook/hearth post ratio?

No facebook and no facecord in this household.

Since I don't do social networking sites I have referred to this place as Hearthbook before. Now if Goldman Sachs will just give Craig fifty million like they just did Facebook I will be hitting him up for some serious coin. :coolsmirk:

LLigetfa said:
No facebook and no facecord in this household.

I only have control of the facecord

SolarAndWood said:
My wife and I have a similar arrangement. Whats your facebook/hearth post ratio?

I don't do Facebook, and my wife doesn't post constantly, she just likes to know the scuttlebutt I guess. So far I am in the lead :coolgrin:

QuadForLife said:
I don't do Facebook

Me either. My wife just corrected me as Facebook does not keep track of posts. It is Runnersworld that she is 6x me.

I have been accused of having more of an interest in wood than in talking to the wife :-O if we are both surfing wtf.

I tried Facebook a while ago.

Too many (scammers or bots of some sort or others) weird entities suddenly wanted to be 'friends' or whatever.
They've supposedly improved it and I should probably try again, but I really don't have time for it. Verizon does a pretty good job with filtering out all the spam from my e-mail. I really don't miss any of it.

I was a regular on Facebook for about a two weeks. Now I check it about twice a year if I know someone posted photos or vid that I want to see, otherwise can't be bothered. For some reason I don't go more than a week without checking in here though. I guess you folks are more interesting than my "Friends".

I'm the BOFH at work and block all internet access to Facebook, YouTube, craigslist, etc. My job is to put the FU in dysfunctional!

LLigetfa said:
I'm the BOFH at work and block all internet access to Facebook, YouTube, craigslist, etc. My job is to put the FU in dysfunctional!

But no blocks on hearth.com, right? ;)

I really can't see what all the fascination is over Facebook. There is nothing there that interests me but I am on there only because of children and grand children. There are a few other folk who once in a while will send me a message. I occasionally get a message and only then will I go on there.

shamelessLEE said:
Facebook IS the root of all evil!

I am so sick of turning on the radio or TV and every new cast, commercial, etc. is "check us out on facebook and twitter." What on earth make them think that I would give a crap about their fb page?!

QuadForLife, you could consider doing what we do. The television mostly stays off (the last time it was on was on Super Bowl Sunday last February) and we found that there is an off/on switch on the radio too so leave it mostly off. I can do without all that crap.

Backwoods Savage said:
QuadForLife, you could consider doing what we do. The television mostly stays off (the last time it was on was on Super Bowl Sunday last February) and we found that there is an off/on switch on the radio too so leave it mostly off. I can do without all that crap.
Me too! Never watch TV.

Backwoods Savage said:

I did tell my wife a couple weeks ago "with flames like this (the secondaries) I think I might take up reading."

shamelessLEE said:
Facebook IS the root of all evil!

Its so true. Facebook and MySpace are the root of all evil. My wife and I agree...if youre married - you have NO BUSINESS being on Facebook. We know of half a dozen incidents of people tracking down "old friends".......only to lead them to awkward situations, affairs, and divorce. There is a reason I left all those people in my past.....thats where I want them to stay.

Oh, and my wife also refers to this site as ---> 'my wood friends'. :lol:

Backwoods Savage said:

Ok, sorry guys......I have to draw the line here. I HATE 'reality TV', but there are MANY shows on TV very worth watching --- mostly on the History channel and Discovery.......ok, I confess--and alot of cops shows ( especially Criminal Minds, Law and Order, NCIS, etc. )

My guilty pleasures. I could be doing worse things. ;-)

It's the young adult/teenagers and women of our family that use facebook to keep in touch and up to date on whats happening. Although my 17 & 19 year old sons have their school buddies on FB, they literally have dozens of girls from across the country and even Europe on there. As far as TV goes, When we are all in the living room watching, everyone but me is multitasking. My wife is usually catching up on work and when the boys are home (one is taking pre-med in collage the other lifts weights and works after school) they always have their laptops doing homework, surfing the net, are on facebook, or texting on their cellphones. Sometimes its just too busy to relax. Maybe I need to get some work lights set up out by the firewood so I'm not the only not getting anything done in the evenings other tending the stove.

Random thoughts . . .

Well I will confess . . . I do watch TV . . . and movies too . . . and my mind hasn't gone rotten. In fact my wife and I have "date night" when Survivor and The Amazing Race are playing . . . I like watching football . . . and a few programs on HGTV, Discovery, BBC America, etc.

Facebook . . . I don't do Farmville, Mafia Wars, etc. . . . but I do use FB to re-establish ties with old friends and new friends . . . and use it both at the firehouse to update folks of fires, public safety annoucements, etc. . . . as well as having a Facebook account for our ATV Club to let club members easily and quickly know about club rides, fundraisers, closed trails, work details, etc. Like any other tool . . . it's what you do with the tool that makes it useful or junk . . .

I too am on facebook. But all I use it for it to post pictures and keep up with good friends and family.

Billy

The Mrs is on Facebook almost daily, no need for me to be there as I get regular updates. I am semi interested in trying to find some buddies from school but have no idea how to go about it and I would hate to find somebody that was close back then to only run out of conversation in 15 minutes because we no longer have anything in common.
Social networking sites have a place I guess but I have not much use for them just as I have not much use for texting...just call somebody & talk!

But, as for the Hearth...I just say to the Mrs going to talk with the guys and she knows what I'm up to :) (no offense to any gals here).

Status
Not open for further replies.