Fact checking the sales guy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes T

Nov 13, 2014
Oklahoma
Hoping for some fact checking help:

I am interested in replacing my prefab fireplace with a wood burning insert. The sales guy said that when they install it, they remove the bottom of the prefab, leave the sides intact, and install the insert.

He said the fan/air passages under the stove provide enough insulation. Is this a common installation technique?

Thanks!
-Wes

Welcome Wes. Do you mean replace the prefab or just installing an insert into it? The only things you can modify on the prefab is remove the doors and damper. And that is only if the prefab qualifies to have an insert installed.

What make/model prefab (ZC) fireplace is this? What make/model insert do you want to install?

I'd just as soon tear the old one out as I don't anticipate going back. I worked through college for a guy who installed pellet inserts, and I remember just tearing out the whole prefab.

I have a Intertherm BM36HC. I'm in a mobile, looking to supplement heat for about 2,000 sq ft.

If the intent is to tear it out then do you want to replace it with a freestanding stove that heats well or with a modern, efficient EPA fireplace designed to heat efficiently?

I've been looking at the Enviro Kodiak 1200 insert -- I've thought about replacing it with a freestanding stove, but the insert seems to be the path of least resistance (and less demolition).

My biggest question is whether I can dismantle portions of my z/c to accommodate the insert? That's where the sales guy at the local stove shop is going with his suggested method.

Wait, you just said you want to get rid of the fireplace. Which is it? You can not dismantle anything but taking off the doors off the ZC.

From the ZC manual:
13. DO NOT use a fireplace insert or any other products not specified herein by the manufac- turer for use with this fireplace. All gas log sets must be operated with the damper clamped open. "Vent-Free" logsets may not be used in manufactured home installations.

This is from the Enviro manual:
Screen Shot 2014-11-13 at 5.58.11 PM.png
I would plan on a full tear out and then decide whether an EPA ZC or freestanding stove is desired.

Reactions: bholler
Answers my question - the local stove place would dismantle the bottom of the Z/C. I'll reassess my options, thanks for your help!

Your least expensive option, if you can do the demolition, may be a tear out. The Nordyne ZC uses air cooled pipe so this will include removal and replacing the chimney pipe. Note that most modern stoves are going to want 15 ft of flue above them which can be challenging in a mobile. PE stoves can get away with a bit less and might be worth considering here if this is an issue.

the local stove place would dismantle the bottom of the Z/C

After they suggested that you shouldn't let them anywhere near your house. That zc unit shouldn't have an insert put in it at all but to recommend modifying it is just absurdly irresponsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.