Fahrenheit ate junk food for two weeks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

343amc

Feeling the Heat
Nov 23, 2005
West Michigan
I've been working to rid myself of my mistake of buying too many Michigan wood pellets in 2011. The Fahrenheit has been eating them for 2 weeks. I did nothing but fill the hopper. The flame started looking lazy this morning so I shut it down.

I cleaned it two weeks ago today. Enjoy the pictures of the amount of ash produced by the Michigan pellets. I'm figuring this is about 12-14 bags worth as I've been burning around 1.5 to 2 bags a day.

First pic is the ash pan. Second pic is what was left after pulling out the ash pan.

Good news is I am almost out of them.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362852254.850828.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362852266.750267.jpg

I am getting the same results from North American Pellets

I forgot to mention the small pieces of what looked like pieces of oyster shells you'd give chickens that had fallen through the bottom holes of the burn pot. Maybe they add that to reduce clinker formation.

The ash pan is about 12 inches deep. It's hard to tell that in the picture.

3 comments---

1.) I am jealous as to the ash color, even with you burning Michigans.

2.) Your ash doesn't get somewhat "clumpy"?

3.) I know that the ash pan is Honkin HUGE on the Fahrenheit. That's a LOT of ash for 2 weeks. !!!

Your burn is much hotter than mine, I can get an All White firebox, but I feel like I am sending to much out the flue. So I throttle the damper to about 50% to slow the air flow rate through the furnace, allows for a better exchange (more heat w/ less pellets burned). But because it self cleans, even if there is a clumpy ash bit, after 10 hrs, it gets pushed out anyways.

I can snap a pic of my ash pan in a bit..

There were some clumps in the ash pan. Not a lot, just the junk that gets pushed out during the self clean. I had to push the ash down a bit so I didn't make a mess walking the pan upstairs and outside. I wasn't expecting it to be that full when i pulled it out. The stuff in the bottom of the furnace was all fluffy.

The Michigan pellets burn clean, but the heat isn't great and damn, the ash is outrageous.

Status
Not open for further replies.