Fahrenheit Endurance Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mom and Dad had Thanksgiving at there house today because we were at the In-Laws yesterday. So I got there at 4 after work (Yes... I had to work today.. and tomorrow and Sunday and the rest of next week) and didnt leave until about 7. Got home at 7:30 and only had enough time to paint the "Thimble" and seal the vent and put the brace on at the top of the 90* before going horizontal.

I have 4 ft of Horizontal going out the house. Really only needed 3 ft. But the 2 Fahrenheits I have seen in action have a little black soot they leave behind. They both mainly burn Corn. And the vents are about the minimum away from the structure. One of them is facing the prevailing wind. So I wanted to be safe. Even though I am burning strictly pellets. I may one day burn corn. And 4' horz is within the Manufacturers specs. Also the 5 ft of vert should help a little. The horizontal also has at least 1/4" per ft. Over an inch of rise throughout.

Just have to run the dedicated power line to it tomorrow after work. Then I can fire it up (Not using an extension cord. As much as I wanted to tonight). After that. Its ductwork and wiring the T-stat and putting it upstairs in the hallway.

Attachments

• sealedup1.jpg
    sealedup1.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 562
  • sealedup2.jpg
    sealedup2.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 569
Got the electrical line in. Also installed 2 other outlets while I was at it..

Surge protector on, makeshift thimble is now sealed and Tapcon'd into place. Had to seal the Simpson Pellet Vent Pro. My 3" on the Englander and on my Quad did not need it (seriously)... But its done (kinda). And best of all.........

ITS BURNING!!!! I still have to Fab up the duct work. But I have it roasting right now in the basement.

I can now relax for a day (oh wait.. I still have to work tomorrow). Well I guess I can sleep when I'm #ead.

Attachments

• done1.jpg
    done1.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 541
  • done2.jpg
    done2.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 546
Took the burnpot out and cleaned everything real good before firing it up. Here are the components. Its 6 peices.

1. Pellet plate (what the pellets hit and scatter on)
2. Burn plate (what the fire burns on, while the pusher mechanism pushes the clinkers and ash out)
3. Pusher plate / also back of burn pot (what cleans the pot and opens the burn pot door/end of pot)
4. Front of pot / Door (also swings up when pusher cleans pot/ashes drop in ash pan)
5. And 6. Are the 2 sides of the burn pot.

Pics are not in that order..

Attachments

• pot1.jpg
    pot1.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 532
  • pot2.jpg
    pot2.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 533
  • pot3.jpg
    pot3.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 526
  • pot4.jpg
    pot4.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 521
  • pot6.jpg
    pot6.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 536
Looking good...You should think about a whole house generator...I installed a Generac, but if Iwere to do it again, I would probably get a Kohler! I know the power going out water problems very well...Along with my sump pump, I had to install a foundation pump. When I bought the pump, the guy asked me if I was trying to drain Lake Erie!

Pump is in this hole/well...

IMG_0211.jpg
IMG_0208.jpg

In my locale that romex needs to be in conduit to meet code.

just sayin.

Attachments

• done2.jpg
    done2.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 446
u know sumtin like dis.

Attachments

• IMAG0102.jpg
    IMAG0102.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 464
smoke show said:
In my locale that romex needs to be in conduit to meet code.

just sayin.

Uh Oh.... Code Police. Aint that my job buddy?? ;-P

Gonna have to check that out. Because there is another outlet for my Sump Pump that runs down the wall (pre-existing).

As long as it was stapled in place every 18" was all I could find. Our township zoner/inspector should know. Nice lady (my buddies Mom). She should be coming out this week.

Can I use the flex conduit? I know I have some of that.

smoke show said:
u know sumtin like dis.

Just has to be like that from the rafter? Correct?

I could have mounted it in the rafter (lots of others up there for basement lighting) but I didnt want the cord going straight up and down.

Thats an easy fix. I am not an electrician by any means. But I can do standard electrical on a house and troubleshoot my trailer lights and ATV's.

This is yet another reason I love this site. You learn something new all the time. That was something I completely overlooked. Thanks Smoke.

Fixed. Stopped at the Hardware store and picked up a flex peice.

Just has to be encased. Thanks again Smoke.

Attachments

• 1stfix.jpg
    1stfix.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 432
DexterDay said:

gotta keep the Squealers honest, no? :lol:

couldn't have said it better myself:

DexterDay said:
Been battered for being the "Code Police" before.... but check local codes....

Do as you wish with your home. But I must do my part and tell it how it is. Or depending on your inspectors or towns rules... Best to check 1st. In the event something were to happen or when you go to sell the home, there may be problems. Do it right the 1st time and have no worries.

Anyway looks good! that should do.

smoke show said:
DexterDay said:

gotta keep the Squealers honest, no? :lol:

couldn't have said it better myself:

DexterDay said:
Been battered for being the "Code Police" before.... but check local codes....

Do as you wish with your home. But I must do my part and tell it how it is. Or depending on your inspectors or towns rules... Best to check 1st. In the event something were to happen or when you go to sell the home, there may be problems. Do it right the 1st time and have no worries.

Anyway looks good! that should do.

OUCH!!!!!..... ;-P

Thats why its best to post pics of the install. Doesnt matter if you did it 100 times. The one time, something may be different. This time it was running a dedicated power line. The other outlets are in the rafters for better lighting (hope to get LED) and the one right before the furnace is for my Pellet sifter. So the vac can move back and forth (stove to sifter).

Thanks Smoke..... Just sayin

Dex, Does that BX cable have a ground in it? And you'll need to put a strap on it as well. ;-) My code duty for the day! hehe

Your lucky my local code does not allow BX inside the dwellings anymore. Only allowed in garage's. So anything I attached to the concrete has to be in EMT. Also have to have everything in the basement on a GFI circuit. I had to temp a GFI outlet to get mine to pass. Stove didn't like the GFI so once they left it was pulled. shhhhh!

j-takeman said:
Dex, Does that BX cable have a ground in it? And you'll need to put a strap on it as well. ;-) My code duty for the day! hehe

Your lucky my local code does not allow BX inside the dwellings anymore. Only allowed in garage's. So anything I attached to the concrete has to be in EMT. Also have to have everything in the basement on a GFI circuit. I had to temp a GFI outlet to get mine to pass. Stove didn't like the GFI so once they left it was pulled. shhhhh!

I didn't say anything about a GFI cause he said he ran more then one outlet.

give the poor guy a break. :lol:

Install looks nice and love the storage shed(from other post). Can't wait to see how you tie into to your existing duct work. ;-)

All eye's from now on!(that better smoke show?-hehe!!!)

Edit:
Dex informed me the cable he used is actually flex conduit(not BX cable) that has romex inside it. Flex is considered EMT and this should pass code very easy! My mistake for thinking it was BX cable and I apologized! :red:

Well I got it tied in. I tried it this past weekend and wasn't really happy with how I did it.

Went back and forth on whether to have the people who installed my LP Trane XV90 furnace, to install the duct for the Fahrenheit. I was worried that my insulated duct wasn't rated for 250*, which the Manual calls for. Finally did some research on Certainteed UltraDuct Gold and found out it is rated for 250*. So I cut my 10 hole and screwed all the pieces together.

Just wanted to do another trial run tonight before I seal everything up with High temp silicone and High temp tape. Started it about 8:00 p.m. and the house was 67*. Left the Quad off T-stat mode this morning so it would be cold when I got home (didn't work out to well/get to much solar gain). Been running for a little over an hour and its taken the entire house up to 72* in about an hour. Totally impressed. Even the Wife said she was. Our Master Bath has a duct in it, and she said upon walking in, it was like "A wave of heat". And its only on Level 2 of 5.

Still have to button everything up, but I think I am gonna enjoy it. The T-stat, wires, and light sealing are all that needs done. Also managed to put a clamp on the Hollow flex conduit that has the 12-3 Romex in it (Just for you Jay) 1 tap-con and it was done. Inspector (buddies Mom) didn't want to look at it till it was "Done". Gonna call her tomorrow and give her the good word.

Please excuse the "dirty" basement. Wife came down when I was taking pics and told me to "At least clean up the mess before you show your Pellet people what you did"!..... Stuff is kinda scattered since I started this. But clean-up will begin tomorrow. Along with sealing, wires, and T-stat...

Attachments

• done1.jpg
    done1.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 341
  • done2.jpg
    done2.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 328
  • done3.jpg
    done3.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 349
  • done3.5.jpg
    done3.5.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 348
  • done4.jpg
    done4.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 331
GrahamInVa said:
Lookin' good.. And that is FAR from a dirty basement! Actually looks more like a MAN CAVE to me. :coolsmirk:

It can't be a MAN CAVE as there are too many heating devices and not a single fridge for adult beverages.

Actually. The basement is 2,200 sq ft (same as upstairs) so you are seeing a small portion. There are mant tons of pellets a tool room...... The list goes on.

The Fridge and Freezer are under the steps. Then there is the door to the actual "Man Cave". Has a Dart Board, Pool Table, Foose Ball Table, T.V., Radio, and 10 ft long custom built bar (by me) with a Glass top and Pics of friends, family, and good times underneath...

Never posted the Man Cave before. That was another reason behind the woodstove. In the Winter I can have a heat source. Plenty to Drink Smokey. If your ever in the Neighborhood, stop by. Plenty of Fun to be had by all.....

Attachments

• fridge.jpg
    fridge.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 446
  • mancave.jpg
    mancave.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 460
  • mancave2.jpg
    mancave2.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 443
smoke show said:
FOOSBALL!!!!

Yep.... Your ever in Ohio, I will Kick your A$$! Or not. But we can have some beers and play pool. Best Beer in the world is made here in Cleveland. Great Lakes Brewing Co. "Christmas Ale". . . . . . Just sayin!!!!

smoke show said:
If ur buying, its the best.

Its no wonder I have so many friends at work! If I buy, your my friend????

Then I still have no friends. ;-P.

Status
Not open for further replies.