Failed dollar bill test near door latch...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rkofler

Burning Hunk
Nov 15, 2011
Long Island
Glass has been getting dirty lately, but mostly on door latch side. Thanks to all of you, I know about the dollar bill test. As expected, failed by the door latch.
Rope gasket looks fine, however. Is it possible to tighten the door latch on the Jotul 550 insert?

I can't find it now but seem to recall this latch as being adjustable. How does the gasket look in that area?

Gasket looks good to my amateur eye. Is why I was thinking the latch just needs to be tightened, if possible...

IMG_2244.JPG

I recall this conversation about the Kennebec some time back. If I remember correctly the adjustment is on the hinge side.

I've got the 550 and have not found a way to make any adjustment so even though I'm good right now I'm interested to see if there's away to do it. Looking at the hinge side of the 550 everything seems fixed in place on that end. The latch has a spring to tension the door but I don't see any way to adjust that either.

I recall this conversation about the Kennebec some time back. If I remember correctly the adjustment is on the hinge side.
That sounds about right. I'll see if I can find that one.

Looking at a parts pic of the Rocky it looks like washers could be placed under that spring on the door latch to shim it. Or stretch out the spring.

Looking at a parts pic of the Rocky it looks like washers could be placed under that spring on the door latch to shim it. Or stretch out the spring.
That's what I come up with too BB. Just wish the manual would give some instructions, says if it the fails the dollar bill test adjust door and retest, ja thanks...

Thanks for the efforts. I'm not even sure how to get handle off. I do see a small circle on side, almost looks like it would be a small allen screw, but it's not. Anyone know how to get handle off?

You Cant get the Handle off with out cutting it if i remember right. Is the gasket behind the glass still in the right place? from the pic the door gasket looks ok it may be a little worn along the top.

Last edited by a moderator:
If after you adjust the door you still have an issue I would check the glass position to see if it centered and on yhe gasket all the way around. On my c450 the glass creeps over time and makes very poor contact along one side. I loosen the screws and center it up and retighten the screws.

Is the latch receiver adjustable? If so you could try making a small adjustment there to tighten up the latch a little bit.

The Latch receiver is part of the stove i think and is not adjustable either.

Hard to believe the handle has to be cut off. How does it get installed? I would think if you can install it, you can uninstall it?
The gasket looks the same all the way around and seems to be in pretty good shape. Only failed dollar bill test by the latch which is why I thought that could be the issue. Don't think it's the glass only because it failed dollar bill test, but I will check that out too.
Thanks for all the thoughts.

if you look at the side of the round chrome part of the handle you will see a roll pin that is hit into place at the factory. it is almost impossible to get out every time i have changed the handle on a jotul unless it is the side door of the 500 you have to cut the handle off and replace with a new assembly. I personally don't like the dollar bill test it is a good starting point but is not the final answer in my opinion. Is it possible that you have just got into so wetter wood?

Point well taken, stoveguy, my wood is definitely not the greatest. Just seems strange that glass only gets dirty in lower left corner. Then it failed dollar bill test...
But I see your point. If it is leaking some air, it is definitely not a lot. Fire is easily controlled with primary. Maybe I will try some incense around the door to try to test? How else do I test if air is leaking in door besides dollar bill test?

I have drilled out a whole lot of roll pins.

if you look at the side of the round chrome part of the handle you will see a roll pin that is hit into place at the factory. it is almost impossible to get out every time i have changed the handle on a jotul unless it is the side door of the 500 you have to cut the handle off and replace with a new assembly. I personally don't like the dollar bill test it is a good starting point but is not the final answer in my opinion. Is it possible that you have just got into so wetter wood?

Or that the glass gasket is where the leakage is? Try a smoking punk or cigarette near these spots to see if smoke gets drawn in around this area.

I have drilled out a whole lot of roll pins.
you can drill it but its a pain and you may make the hole bigger that starts a whole other problem. I have changed probably close to a 100 over the years easiest thing is cut the thing off and put a new one on.

The other thing you can use along with what begreen said is a lighter to see if the flame pulls toward the stove.

I yield to your experience stoveguy. Cut it, insert the new one and pin it does sounds a lot easier. Have you ever seen anybody shim one with circlips? Close to a 100 of them says this thing is a problem.

i have never seen anyone try the circlips it may work but you would most likely have to compress the handle and then pull the handle out a bit to get it to work. the issue's that has required the handle to be replaced most frequently would be the weld breaking at the point where the latch meets the shaft the other thing that seems to happen is the whole handle freezes up and just won't move.

Before I start cutting handles off I'm going to a new and possibly larger gasket. Nothing wrong with your handle I'm guessing and replacing won't do any good. rk can you pull the gasket in the problem area and fluff or turn the gasket to build it up in that part?

To the stove experts and for my own information, is there any product that can be put in the gasket channel to build the gasket up if needed?

I'm glad you use dollar bills too, I've caught two on fire so far. No leaks.

Reactions: BrotherBart
Took the door off to clean the glass. Figured I would take glass off and check the gasket, seems like I had a small leak as discussed earlier in this thread. Rope gasket seems kind of shot, and it pulled right out. Should it? Figure I might as well replace with new.
Here are my questions:
Where to buy new rope gasket for the glass?
What holds the gasket in, besides the clamps(not sure if that's what they are called, the 4 pieces that get screwed in)?
Should I replace door rope gasket while I am at it?

Just finished 3rd winter, burn about 4 cords per. I think I would consider this normal maintenance. How frequently do you replace door/glass gaskets?

Thanks!! Happy Spring, finally!

Status
Not open for further replies.