Failure to honor warranty

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

forrestgw

Jan 11, 2011
Central Nevada
We purchased a Mt. Vernon AEPMH in September 2008 and it was installed the early part of October 2008. The stove work well until March of 2009 when the igniter quit and we called for service. Because of where we live (over 100) from the dealer we had to wait until their scheduled run came up. We fortunately have a backup heating system that is expensive to operate. The igniter was replaced with an additional upgrade to the igniter bracket. Two holes were drilled in it to allow more air which would create a better ignition process.
In November 2010 the igniter quit again. I called for a repair only to find that it would be almost a month before the technician would be in town. We drove the 110 miles to pick up and I installed the igniter per the technicians instructions. While doing that I noticed a crack in the primary baffle plate approximately ten inches diagonally across the plate (it has now grown down into the feed tube) so I requested a replacement plate.
The igniter didn’t work so I requested another one which literally fell apart. I also had to pay for that one. Again no ignition so I contacted the manufactured and started researching the issue because no one seemed sure about what the problem was.
Based on information available I was able to determine the probable problem was the control board which turned out to be true.
The technician contacted me to let me know he would be in town the next day so we discussed the problems. When he arrived I showed him the baffle plate, and he went to work. The control panel and igniter were replaced and the stove has work fine every since.
I was notified today that the manufacturer will not honor the warranty. I sent a registered letter the day after the technician left stating the issues and pointed out that on page 54 of the posted manual on their web page indicated the warranty should be honored.
I am looking for some kind of recourse as my wife and I are both disabled and live on a fixed income. It anyone one knows of a way to resolve this please let me know.

forrestgw said:
We purchased a Mt. Vernon AEPMH in September 2008 and it was installed the early part of October 2008. The stove work well until March of 2009 when the igniter quit and we called for service. Because of where we live (over 100) from the dealer we had to wait until their scheduled run came up. We fortunately have a backup heating system that is expensive to operate. The igniter was replaced with an additional upgrade to the igniter bracket. Two holes were drilled in it to allow more air which would create a better ignition process.
In November 2010 the igniter quit again. I called for a repair only to find that it would be almost a month before the technician would be in town. We drove the 110 miles to pick up and I installed the igniter per the technicians instructions. While doing that I noticed a crack in the primary baffle plate approximately ten inches diagonally across the plate (it has now grown down into the feed tube) so I requested a replacement plate.
The igniter didn’t work so I requested another one which literally fell apart. I also had to pay for that one. Again no ignition so I contacted the manufactured and started researching the issue because no one seemed sure about what the problem was.
Based on information available I was able to determine the probable problem was the control board which turned out to be true.
The technician contacted me to let me know he would be in town the next day so we discussed the problems. When he arrived I showed him the baffle plate, and he went to work. The control panel and igniter were replaced and the stove has work fine every since.
I was notified today that the manufacturer will not honor the warranty. I sent a registered letter the day after the technician left stating the issues and pointed out that on page 54 of the posted manual on their web page indicated the warranty should be honored.
I am looking for some kind of recourse as my wife and I are both disabled and live on a fixed income. It anyone one knows of a way to resolve this please let me know.

What would Quad not warranty, the control board and igniters or just the baffel?

Have you paid anything for the repairs? If not let then sue you in small claims court. If you HAVE paid by credit card you can dispute the repair bill... most card companies will side with the consumer when a charge is disputed.

Try contacting your state consumer fraud agency... I'm sure they would like to hear about this.

The sad thing is most stove manufacturers have terrible customer service... if the selling dealer won't help you you are on your own...

Status
Not open for further replies.