Fair price for used Log Boss splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ramonbow

Jan 8, 2009
S. Minnesota
There is an auction sale coming up with a Log Boss splitter with a 5.5 HP engine. From the looks of the picture it has definitely been used and only splits horizontally. What are some things to look for on this unit? What would you expect would be a fair price for it and what price would be too good of a deal to resist?

How much are they new?

Look for the same sorts of things you'd look at in other OPE - general condition, any signs of leakage, physical damage, non-cosmetic bits missing, etc. If you can, start the engine (or at least pull it over) and see if it runs / starts OK... If the cylinder can be extended (it should always be stored retracted) look at the chrome for scratches, pits, dents, rust, etc, any signs of damage are likely to mean leakage (if not now, soon) and the eventual need for a new cylinder - not a big deal but a couple hundred extra cost... Also look around the wedge / foot area for cracks or bad welds, and check the part of the beam that the moving part rides on for bends. That carriage should have some slop, but not excessive...

As to price, depends on what you are willing to pay - I'd say that since you can get a new Speeco / Huskee for around $1100 at TSC, that I'd look for under about $900, but...

Gooserider

Unless its obviously as new and stored inside, my rule for used equipment is half of new max. That way, when you find that the pump is bad, motor has issues after running for an hour, needs a hydraulic fitting or hose, etc., you still have room to fix it and be in good shape. Also, if you stick to this rule, you can generally turn it around without taking a bath if you find that it isn't exactly what you want.

If it isn't functioning as new, you shouldn't pay much more than scrap value for someone else's problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.