Fair Price On Chimney Liner and Thimble?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Born Of Fire

Sep 24, 2009
Hudson Valley NY
Just got a estimate from a sweep they are looking to install about 22 feet of Forever Flex 316 Ti and a stainless steel insulated double wall pipe thimble.They want 1,400. your thoughts?

This will probably get moved to the wood burning forum. If that is an installed price, I'd say your getting a great deal. In fact, it may sound to good to some other members. You may want to double check with a local hearth shop

Everybody goes online to check prices. Trying to guess installation labor is at best rolling the dice. Someone who doesn't
give meaningfull warrantees (cell phone vs store front) or get their work inspected is going to be able to give you a better price than someone who has seen 30 years of people treating open flame appliances like they would a chemical toilet. That being said, even best companies have human employees who may or may not bring their best game to your home no matter how big a check you write to their boss.

What size liner? Is it insulated? From my own experience its a heck of a lot easier installing a 4" non-insulated liner in your typical 8x8 flue than a 6" insulated liner. Twists? Turns? Firebox demo/reconstruction? Does this include the stove install (obviously, because the stove has to come out )? I'd watch out for double-dipping. $500 for a stove install is reasonable, as is $500 labor for a liner installation, but some of the cost of installation is simply getting the crew to you house, and you shouldn't have to pay twice as much if they're already at your house.

I thought that home saver liner was the heavier more expensive kind..and an insulated thimgle should be a couple hundred bucks. I still think the price sounds fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.