Fair price to sell my stove for ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffee

Nov 1, 2007
Western Ma
If I put my Jotul F 118 CB Black Bear on craigslist, what do you all think would be a fair price? Both interior side baffle plates are cracked. The stove runs well. The top interior baffle plate is new as of this year. Tubes are in good shape, and straight.

I need to price it for a quick sale if I replace the stove, which I am thinking of doing. I absolutely have no place to put the stove if/when I replace it.

Thank you in advance ...

edit: I bought it new about 3 (I previously stated 4, but it's 3) years ago, it has NEVER been overfired. Thanks ..

Hard to say, $5-600?

Huh. What's the price on a new one? I'd try for 1/2 to 2/3 the price of a new one for a quick sale. People try to sell old smoke dragons for up to $500, so for a late model Jotul I would think more like $700? Unless there's something wrong with it?

There is some thought that prices for used stoves will go up after January 1, as the 30% rebate expires December 31. Anyone agree or disagree?

If so it would be a good idea to hold out for a higher price (expect a slower sale) and store the stove in a storage rental unit or simply outside covered with a tarp...

Yes, maybe I could store it outside with a tarp; I'm just thinking that it will probably rust (?). Thanks for all the feedback -- thanks BeGreen for your guidance (again)!

-Jeff

Second guessing the market is hard. After January stove sales drop. By February the big box stores are clearing out inventory. I'd sell now while the market is at the peak. If the burn plates were in great shape, then I would be saying more like $900, but they aren't. You could start out at $650, willing to negotiate down to $550 and that would be fair.

don't store it under a tarp!!! This stove was. Can you read hearthstone?

hearthstone011.jpg

There is a similar stove being used as a planter up the road for years that looks better. The tarp kept the moisture trapped and killed it.

pen

Ha!! Well that's that. I'll try to sell it within 5 days. Any of y'all want it -- and can pick it up from western MA? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.