fair price?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ssoucy

Jan 20, 2015
Connecticut
35' liner kit, pre cleaning of flue, lifetime guarantee, permits and fees through insured installer for 6"ss
$1000.00 for install and all parts
Fair price?

I'd say that's definitely a good price since I'm sitting here watching the installers put in my 32' liner and it cost me $2200 including the tile breakout.

Far less than what I was quoted a few years back.

Getting insulation?

Honestly i think that is to low i would be concerned about the quality of product and workmanship. Or whether that price will end up being way higher by the time it is done. And yes make sure it is getting insulated. I know that i could not even buy the materials that we use for that price.

That's very, very cheap. They are doing the job for free, parts should cost about that much for single wall flex. Assuming it's a T system.

This installer was actually the most highly recommended in the area. His quote was in the middle, I had several that were lower and one that was higher. Every one of the area stove shops said insulated was way overkill for our installation and recommended against it when I asked (all said they would do it for an extra $200. Liner being used is simpson duraflex. This istaller's original qoute was higher and he offered to match one of the lower ones. I figure with the guarantee and needing to pass inspection, I am not going to seek out paying more.

Every one of the area stove shops said insulated was way overkill for our installation and recommended against it
Did they even check to see if you had proper clearances from the masonry to combustible materials before telling you this? I am sorry but i would be very worried that when it came time to pay the bill it would be much higher. I cant imagine doing a 35' loner for anywhere near $1000

Reactions: webby3650
This installer was actually the most highly recommended in the area. His quote was in the middle, I had several that were lower and one that was higher. Every one of the area stove shops said insulated was way overkill for our installation and recommended against it when I asked (all said they would do it for an extra $200. Liner being used is simpson duraflex. This istaller's original qoute was higher and he offered to match one of the lower ones. I figure with the guarantee and needing to pass inspection, I am not going to seek out paying more.
Can I ask what his original quote was?
Trusted recommendations are key for me, but others here are correct about parts costs. And 35' of flex liner insulation alone cost more than $200 at a diy warehouse. People sometimes give their time for free, but I've never seen any professional offer to pay for 20% of your liner parts cost. And who is the warranty from?
Just for reference if you were buying just the parts yourself:
http://www.chimneylinerdepot.com/store/350/product/Flex-King-Chimney-Liner-6X35-Insert-Kit.html

But if you trust them and are happy with the quality of the pipe they propose installing go for it it is a phenomenal price. But get it insulated

Reactions: webby3650
But if you trust them and are happy with the quality of the pipe they propose installing go for it it is a phenomenal price. But get it insulated
I agree. If they are reputable and will insulate it go for it! That's a quality liner, I wouldn't have any worries about it.

Did they even check to see if you had proper clearances from the masonry to combustible materials before telling you this? I am sorry but i would be very worried that when it came time to pay the bill it would be much higher. I cant imagine doing a 35' loner for anywhere near $1000

clearances from what to what? Not trying to sound like an idiot but are you talking about clearances from the stove itself to combustibles, the pipe or the actual masonry to the house? He asked me so many distances from things I don't know if I was asked what you are asking or not...

It seems likea fairly straight forward install, I was tempted to do it myself except for the hight of the ladder I would be on. It is a 12x12 tile that goes through a fireplace to a freestanding woodstove. I have a blockoff plate from my previous stove and it is a relativly straight shot down the chimney with only a slight offset. Not sure what could be missing if this price is off.

clearances from what to what?
To meet code you need to have (for and exterior chimney 1" and for an interior chimney 2") clearance from the outside of the chimney to any combustible materials. If you dont have this which most do not you need to insulate the liner.

That's a quality liner, I wouldn't have any worries about it.
It is on the thin side even for thin wall i personally would never install it.

To meet code you need to have (for and exterior chimney 1" and for an interior chimney 2") clearance from the outside of the chimney to any combustible materials. If you dont have this which most do not you need to insulate the liner.

The chimney past inspection with the old stove attached so I am assuming it either has the clearance or the inspector didn't check. It is newer house with a three flue brick chimney on an exterior wall the center flue is where the liner will be going so I admitt I am somewhat confused still on where the inch must be located you are referring to. Theygave me all the forms with insur, liability, licence numbers and ino to fill in with both our local fire dept and town building insp and written quote for final price.

They hold up just fine.

http://www.rumford.com/code/clearances.html
Here is a link to a copy of the applicable code Many times inspectors do not know any better so the fact that it passed does not necessarily mean it is safe. and besides it will work much better insulated. But like i said if you are comfortable with them and the product go for it

Same thickness as Olympia (Ventis) ForeverFlex isn't it?

Ok. Now I understand the clearance you are talking about. I am 99% sure it has the proper clearance. when I had the chimney built, two of the flues were specifically dedicated for woodstove use and I had them checked etc. I know it can be said that that doesnt mean much but I trust the original mason I hired and the guys checking so hopefully it passes this time as well.

Last edited:
Same thickness as Olympia (Ventis) ForeverFlex isn't it?
forever flex is .006 duraflex is .005 but we don't install light wall for wood stoves at all the thinnest we use is the mid weight liners like olympias hybrid but we usually use armor flex. I just don't like using liners that i can cut to length with a utility knife.

Ok. Now I understand the clearance you are talking about. I am 99% sure it has the proper clearance. when I had the chimney built, two of the flues were specifically dedicated for woodstove use and I had them checked etc. I know it can be said that that doesnt mean much but I trust the original mason who I hired and the giys checking so hopefully it passes this time as well.
Fair enough we will then assume that you have proper clearance and it is not required by code. It is still worth it just for the increase in performance.

forever flex is .006 duraflex is .005 but we don't install light wall for wood stoves at all the thinnest we use is the mid weight liners like olympias hybrid but we usually use armor flex. I just don't like using liners that i can cut to length with a utility knife.
Foreverflex comes in .005 and .006. A thousandth of an inch is not a huge difference. Do all your customers want to pay the premium for Armor flex? How much of a premium does that add to an average job? I know that most of the installations I have seen on this site are not with that heavy stuff.

Do all your customers want to pay for Armor flex?
That is what we do they can always get other quotes if they want cheaper

It is less fun to work with than rigid IMO.
I disagree completely i think heavy wall actually goes in easier that light wall because it is smooth

A thousandth of an inch is not a huge difference
It is 1/6th of .006 which is 16% not exactly insignificant

We install a few dozen light wall insulated liners every year and then go back and clean them. I never see any damage or signs of wearing out. I clean some that are 15 years old and get heavy use, no issues at all. Know no problems with them, combined with the lifetime warranty, lower cost for the customer, I don't have a problem with it.

maybe business is slow here in CT. I went to the dealer looking for a jotul f3 cb and they ended up matching the price of that stove with the hearthstone castleton becasue my wife liked the asthetics of the soap better. Think I paid around 1800 for it. Strange that I called at least 10 different installers over the last few days and none of the them recommended insulating the liner even after I asked due to the advice given here. They said only if chimney was on wind side of house ,overlyhigh and fully exposed. I may just have them do it anyway but I wonder why they wouldn't jump at it due to the higher cost. Maybe easier labor?

Status
Not open for further replies.