Fake Craigslist Ad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaugust124

Feeling the Heat
Feb 14, 2010
Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
So get this,
I see an ad on Craigslist for free firewood. It's literally 10 minutes away, so I figure I'll check it out. I was unable to get there right away so 2 days later I was driving by the property and noticed the wood was still there. After speaking to a couple different people at the apartment house, the owner comes out and tells me I can be ARRESTED FOR TRESPASSING! She tells me this after she wrote down my license plate number.

Apparently the fly by night tree service was supposed to chip and dump the wood at the back of her property for fill. Instead they posted it on Craigslist advertised as free firewood. Now I can understand her being annoyed with the tree service, but hey lady, don't take it out on me.

In the end, I was very cordial and recommended to her a reputable tree service for future work, but I'm slightly annoyed. If I was interested in stealing firewood, why would I stop to ask if its still available? I almost hope the fly by nighters are long gone and the wood stays on her property for a month or two. Really the only thing I'm worried about is what if someone does come and take the wood without her knowledge, is she going to be giving the cops my plate number?

Some people. :coolmad:

Jaugust124 said:
So get this,
I see an ad on Craigslist for free firewood. It's literally 10 minutes away, so I figure I'll check it out. I was unable to get there right away so 2 days later I was driving by the property and noticed the wood was still there. After speaking to a couple different people at the apartment house, the owner comes out and tells me I can be ARRESTED FOR TRESPASSING! She tells me this after she wrote down my license plate number.

Apparently the fly by night tree service was supposed to chip and dump the wood at the back of her property for fill. Instead they posted it on Craigslist advertised as free firewood. Now I can understand her being annoyed with the tree service, but hey lady, don't take it out on me.

In the end, I was very cordial and recommended to her a reputable tree service for future work, but I'm slightly annoyed. If I was interested in stealing firewood, why would I stop to ask if its still available? I almost hope the fly by nighters are long gone and the wood stays on her property for a month or two. Really the only thing I'm worried about is what if someone does come and take the wood without her knowledge, is she going to be giving the cops my plate number?

Some people. :coolmad:

lol wonder how many times it work?

LOL, better move out of the country, Americas most wanted

The worst part of it is, is that there was a ton of wood (maple) and most of it was cut into nice lengths perfect for splitting. I probably would have taken most of it except for a few of the biggest rounds.

I live in the country with a business here or there. I called a business cause they had a stack of wood by the powerline right of way. I talked to the secretary who checked with the boss and said yes, go ahead and take it. She said they were going to pay someone to take the wood away! I carried monstorous rounds up a wicked grade to the road and filled my ranger. One of the neighbors was watching me load as I took a break here and there. I even waived and said hi. 20 minutes later as I am leaning on the tailgate sweating in 85 degree weather she comes flying up in a sable. She tells me to put the wood on here driveway or she is calling the cops you thief??? I just kinda gave an uncomfortable chuckle and said "Yeah, good one!" This lady gets in my face and said she is calling the cops. I told her the story and went in the truck, I had the business name and the ladys name on a posted with the number. The lady persisted and I told her that at this point, "toots, you are cracked if you think I am working for you!" I told her to go ahead and call the cops but the wood would get tossed back down the hill where she could not move it before I deliver this. I grabbed my cell number and called the secretary on speaker phone and thanked her. She said her boss and her appreciate the hard work... Next I said the neighbor is on the line and will be right over to talk as well and hung up. The lady who wanted me to dump the wood just looked at me and said, "you are telliing the truth???!!!" At that point I asked her what she thought the wood was worth down a bank, not split, and not seasoned? She finally got it and said its yours. Moral of the story is you can do everything right and still get stung. By the way, the wood sat in the low area for over a year in a bog type area. She finally paid a landscaping company to pull it out. Its hers to do what she wants but some people just are plain dumb...

That't funny burntime. I had a guy pull up a couple weeks ago while I was loading the trailer. He tells me that he had been eyeing it and had the audacity to tell me to load up his truck for him. After chuckling, I asked him why he hadn't already loaded it up and he said it was too heavy. He drove away pissed as I finished loading it into the trailer.

Jaugust, I hear a lot of stories like this from the tree guys. The deal is made for removal and as soon as they start loading up the wood the homeowner demands it be stacked over there, cut to length, double mulched, etc and refuses to pay. From the way she treated you, I bet that is more likely than the fly by night tree service not doing the job they originally agreed to.

Nope, it was the right of way by the power lines.

Solarandwood,
Judging by the way the lady acted, who knows what the truth is. Perhaps I'm too quick to judge the tree service. Either way, the wood sits on a main road in the city and I drive past her house often, so I'll keep an eye on it. I wonder how long its going to sit there? If the tree service doesn't come back, maybe I should knock on her door and tell her I'll take it away for a fee. Oh no wait... if I step foot on her property I'll be arrested for trespassing.

Burntime, why do so many people assume the negative? How about being happy that someone is cleaning up a mess and actually has some use for something that someone else has discarded?

I agree, whats the difference to the home owner if they haul it or it gets picked up. There is a liability issue when they pick it up but to have a fit is goofy...

Jaugust124 said:
Oh no wait... if I step foot on her property I'll be arrested for trespassing.

If you are looking for entertainment, call the city and complain about the wood on the side of the road.

Jaugust124 said:
Really the only thing I'm worried about is what if someone does come and take the wood without her knowledge, is she going to be giving the cops my plate number?

What are they gonna think? That you burned the evidence in July?

SolarAndWood said:
Jaugust124 said:
Oh no wait... if I step foot on her property I'll be arrested for trespassing.

If you are looking for entertainment, call the city and complain about the wood on the side of the road.

Now THAT is a great suggestion!

Drove by this afternoon. All the wood was gone. All that was left was some sawdust. Don't know what happened to the wood, but I'm guessing the tree service came and took it, but who knows?

Arrested for trespassing? It would be tough to convince a judge that a guy who drives up to the building and knocks on the door to ask a question is criminally trespassing. Too bad you didn't get the wood though.

Status
Not open for further replies.