fake/faux siding?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dakota03

Mar 4, 2008
central PA
Anybody ever use vinyl stone siding behind their stove? Would it be legal as long as it was the required distance from the stove? Most has a class A fire rating. Still I would be worried about it warping. Anyway just trying to save a buck and want some advice from the pro's.

If the clearances are good, why not just leave it painted sheetrock? I'd put sheetmetal back there if required before I'd put fake plastic stone.

Maybe I'm not understanding the question. Are you trying to dress up the hearth? What are her concerns?

You could tape paper to the wall behind the stove if you meet clearances. If you are worried about it melting or something, if it meets clearances it should be fine.

Yea, the wifes a little picky. :roll: She isn't to exited about me puttin a stove in the living room at all. I showed her some pics of an avalon arbor and she loved the look of the stone behind it and on the hearth. So if I get a stove I gotta make it look "pretty".

Good for her. That's a very nice looking stove and deserves a good setting. Let her pick out the covering and help with putting it up. Then every time she looks at the stove she will have pride in her personal touch.

Note, this stove gets hot in the back, so be sure to honor it's clearances. If that is a challenge, you might also want to look at a Jotul Oslo which is a bit cooler in the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.