Fall check in for first burning season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ValleyCottageSplitter

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2016
Rockland Co, NY
I think finally this will be the season. We've sorted out a few things and decided on all the details for a BK Ashford. Just about to put the deposits down. Will be a pricey install and a long payback.

I made a nice little report on my stash though. Appears I should have about 2.5 cord ready, including my white oak that has finished up just in time.

I cleaned up the rack for the yard a bit and have about 1/2 cord extra space for 2019 before the season starts.

Attachments

• Sep 21 2018 MC rack.png
    Sep 21 2018 MC rack.png
    817.7 KB · Views: 532
  • Sep 21 2018 MC woods.png
    Sep 21 2018 MC woods.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 459
I’ve got some Sycamore I’ve just split and stacked at 40%. How long to burn is typical to get it below 20%?
Over a year if stored off the ground in a sunny / windy area.

Reactions: Bigger_Al
I got horrible Sycamore. This piece was about 8" x 6" on one end and 4"x3" on the other. I think a regular split size (if you can make one) should season in about 9mo if top covered. I only used this wide tarp a couple months ago once most of it was seasoned.

Your hired !! Quite the presentation. This could be add to your resume. Just curious -- What is your occupation ?

Interesting method for storage too. What is that roof made of ? a couple of close up pics would help me view the details if you have them. Thanks

Interesting method for storage too. What is that roof made of ? a couple of close up pics would help me view the details if you have them. Thanks
It is pretty simple. Just 2x4's about 6' long, paired with two 4x2x3" spacers and then a 4' beam screwed into the ends. Otherwise it is the simple concrete block firewood rack that is all over google. Then I tie a 20x4' tarp with zip ties to the cross beams. It mostly just needs to be tied on the ends of the tarp but a few bungie cords in the middle to keep it from flapping. Once loaded with firewood it tensions the tarp. If I clip off the zip ties I can take the sections apart and move them if needed.

Here's a close up of one of the beams. I went through them all later and cut the vertical beam tops with a 22.5° angle.

I'm in engineering and make a lot of powerpoints :). Those pictures took about 5-10 minutes.

Attachments

• Tarp rack beam.jpg
    Tarp rack beam.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 191
+1 for organizational skills. Much neater than anything I’ve ever done!

i really like that setup. very neat.

What was your sample size for the MC tests ?

Have you tracked weight loss instead of using a MM ?
You don't have to keep splitting splits.