Fallen tree cutting question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corie

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
Camp Hill, PA
As the diagram shows, a poplar (meh) fell across the brook up the country and it's low enough that it might snag brush etc. Grandpa and I don't don't like stuff across the brook like that, so it has to go. Anyway, what's the best way to attack it? It's suspended at both ends as shown, and I've bucked all the easy cuts. I had a few ideas on how to do it safely, but I'm open to ideas since I know y'all will know better than me

Helps if I post the stinkin picture mang

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 315
The safest way to do it would be to cut off what's left of the stump and any limbs you can reach, then winch or drag the stem onto dry ground and cut it up there. That's assuming you want to recover the wood and don't want it to wind up in the stream.

If you don't want the wood and don't mind sending the thing downriver, then cut it as close to the bank as you can on both sides and then pry it sideways until one end falls into the water and send it on its way.

In any event, I wouldn't wade into the water with a running chain saw. A jolt from that electronic ignition module will knock you on your ass on dry ground. I can't imagine what it would do to you if you were standing waist-deep in water. Not to mention the possibility of getting conked on the head and drowning.

Good luck Corie.

I would cut it the way Eric said. It's the safest way to go. And don't forget you'r PPE, helmet ,glasses,chaps.

Do you have hip boots? You can cut up to the area to the left without s a problem till you reach the balance point over the river
with a crow bar can you lift the log enough to get under it to get off the ground? to make cutting easier. or cut 3/4 the way threw and using a crow bar roll it over. Corie I do not know your abilities do you have a saw horse? I would use a saw horse or two and put it in the middle to support the weight. You also did not say how thick the tree is or how long it is. Me I would use hip boots place the two sawhorses 18' apart wedge blocks under them to pick up support and cut the middle. after the inital cut 16-20" cuts from each side working to the saw horses. That's the safest way I can think of. Me, I would just cut it up But I have years of experience. I know how to control a saw and under cut. not recomended for novices.

Stupid me, I forgot about electronic ignition. forget what I advised. Get a rope or chain and drag it to a safe working area. (Tractor pk truck) Cut the left to reduce weight first. I admit to having never cutting standing in a stream. I would just pick it up with my backhoe

Corie man of many ideas, what about damning up the stream and producing hydro power?

Status
Not open for further replies.