Falling creosote? #2, help a new forum member out. (welcome Okie!)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Okie

Jan 31, 2007
I'm new to this whole wood burning thing and now know I've been
burning too slow and cool. I know this from reading stuff that all you experienced
guys write. I recently have had the same thing in my stovepipe.
I cleaned it out and a few days later, the same thing.
I'm guessing that it could be buildup from my bad burning days.
Is there a way to find out if I'm continuing to build this stuff up.
Is there a danger of it igniting? Should I have my chimney cleaned.
My stove is a Lopi Patriot, not used for primary heat.
I'm clueless.

The only real way to tell for sure is to run a brush up and down and see what you get... Sounds like buildup of some sort, but hard to say without trying to clean it. As long as you run hotter, and try to get at least one good hot fire every day or so though, you probably won't have a big ignition risk.

Getting the chimney cleaned professionally won't hurt anything but your wallet, however it won't do much more than what you can do yourself if you are able to. The tools are a bit of an expense, but only about as much as one or two sweep visits. (Note that I'd still get a sweep to do an inspection every year or two just to make sure nothing has gotten damaged.)

Gooserider

Thanks. I'm just paranoid about burning my house down. I've cleaned the pipe from the stove to the chimney connector. I'll try to get to the rest of it soon.
I'll have to get the brushes first. I appreciate it.

Okie said:
Thanks. I'm just paranoid about burning my house down. I've cleaned the pipe from the stove to the chimney connector. I'll try to get to the rest of it soon.
I'll have to get the brushes first. I appreciate it.

No problem, glad to help out...

I actually just found I have my own creosote mystery of sorts... Normally we come and go through the garage door, and almost never use the front door and steps. Today I happenned to walk around there, and noticed that there are LOTS of little fragments of what looks like creosote (black crunchy stuff) approximately fingernail size all over the front steps and surrounding area, which is more or less under the chimney.

Is this stuff that's building up on the cap screen and flaking off, or is it blowing out of the chimney? (Getting up on top of the chimney is not practical - it is ~ 7' to the top of the chimney from where it sticks out of the middle of our 12/12 pitch roof... Even the sweep took one look and cleaned it from the bottom!)

I run the smoke dragon on the cool side judging by the thermometer, it is difficult to get it to run medium temps without going thermonuclear. I do try to run a hot fire at least once a day - if I don't watch it close I get the "T" on the back and the liner up to that "cheery red glow" that seems to make people nervous.... :bug: I also have a tub of that "flue cleaning powder" that I toss a few scoops into the stove every week or so for all the good it does (I wouldn't buy that stuff, we were given it by various folks). When it gets hot I defiitely get a rumble going up the chimney, but not the "freight train" I hear used to describe a chimney fire, so I don't feel that worried.

So far I've only been cleaning once a year, and last years accumulation wasn't that bad, probably because at least some of it was already on the lawn....

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.