Falling Wedge Topic # 2 - How/When/Where are they used?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drifthopper

Apr 12, 2007
www.drifthoppers.net
After viewing the other topic on "Falling Wedges" , and viewing the other link to Bailey’s, ….

How are they used?

Where are they used?

And…

When are these used?

"when felling a tree with a lean or you need a perfect drop zone" and bucking. The differnt size and taper is use according to size of the tree. It sounds like you are not droping alot of tree's so the basic's would be 5.5 to 8 in. rifle's groove are great because you can stack them really well when you need more lift. cant imagine wooding without atleast a 5.5 to keep the saw from being pinched

Not just for falling. I use them more for bucking than falling. Anytime there is risk of bar pinch, set a couple wedges at the top to hold the cut open while you finish. Mostly the 5 or 6 inch sizes. buy a bunch of sizes.

How are they used?
Mostly to keep the tree from setting back on the bar and pinching the saw and to persuade the tree to fall in the prefered direction, also when bucking to keep the log from pinching the bar.

Where are they used?
Behind the bar in the kerf

And…

When are these used?

whenever you feel your bar may be pinched

And they are fElling wedges

falling or felling is more regional dialect and use.

we could standardize and just use the term 'F'ing wedges' which may be more appropriate at times anyway, especially when thing don't go the way intended.

valuable tools, buy a bunch.

kcj

So...when you use these when felling a tree, do you's carry a hammer with you to pound these into the kerf as you cut the thru the notch to get the tree to fall where you want?

And i can see there usefulness when bucking, i typically cut 3/4 thru then roll the log over, but with a wedge, you could go right thru.

(smokinJ...i typically drop any where from 15 to 20 trees a yr for my wood burning needs...anything from 8-10" to 20" BHD, maple, ash, and locust)

Drifthopper said:
So...when you use these when felling a tree, do you's carry a hammer with you to pound these into the kerf as you cut the thru the notch to get the tree to fall where you want?

And i can see there usefulness when bucking, i typically cut 3/4 thru then roll the log over, but with a wedge, you could go right thru.

(smokinJ...i typically drop any where from 15 to 20 trees a yr for my wood burning needs...anything from 8-10" to 20" BHD, maple, ash, and locust)

I use a mual to pound it in most trees I do are over 45 in. hatchet when bucking

I use a maul as well.

I bought a bunch of assorted plastic wedges and found they don't last all that long if you're really fighting heavy leaners. I've since found steel wedges are much more valuable for tipping heavy leaners. When I use the steel wedges, I start the cut and then insert a couple of plastic wedges and start banging them in as I go. Once the saw (bar) is completely clear of the wedges, or I'm done cutting, I'll insert a steel wedge or two if I know I have a lot of beating to do to get the tree over. The steel wedges work SO much better, they have more lift and they can take the beating... but I only use them when I know I'll have to really work to get the tree over, otherwise I just use the plastic.

"I found steel wedges are much more valuable for tipping heavy leaners"

I do the same just dont tell anyone now they will think your crazy! I have had 6 metal one's in a hollow out silver maple before pretty scarry.

I've been quite pleased with the redhead plastic wedges for bigger stuff, and they stack well, too. The orange cheap-o wedges take a beating and end up deformed when used hard.

Pounding is done with the back side of an axe, or with a mini-sledge on the smaller stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.