family room fieplace upgrade

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snidley whiplash

Nov 1, 2011
north il
My family room is about 25x15 and locate at the end of a 10 ft. hallway.the room is a 90 degree turn from the hallway at its end, I have glass doors but should i install an insert or fireback or what? the room has a lot of windows and is chilly. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Wood stove insert would be more efficient than any of those fire backs or fancy heat grates. An insert would also cut down on those cold down drafts when the fireplace isn't in use.

Give us some pictures and fireplace dimensions. We love to be helpful/spend other people's money (wisely, of course).

Todd said:
Wood stove insert would be more efficient than any of those fire backs or fancy heat grates. An insert would also cut down on those cold down drafts when the fireplace isn't in use.

+1
Try to get one with a fan.

The dimensions of the firebox are 22inches deep at the base front is 38 inches wide with the back tapering to28 inches while the height is 30. The insert sounds good any suggestions as to what to look for ? Also good brands.

Brands...there are lots of good stoves based on space to heat, climate where installed, box size, burn time desires and of course price. If you have the time, look around at the post on this site. There is a wealth of knowledge here...and really friendly folks. My recommendations - get as big as you can fit in there, get one that looks "good enough" for the other half if you are married, line the flue, and enjoy the labor which will "heat you twice."

Be forewarned...you hang with this crowd, and you will realize you have a new hobby...which turns into a passion and then somewhere along the line...an addiction.

fredarm said:
Give us some pictures and fireplace dimensions. We love to be helpful/spend other people's money (wisely, of course).

+house layout, please.

Also add your location to your profile.

We aim to please, but need more input, kinda like Johnny 5 :)

Welcome to the forums, Snidley, how's Dudley? !!

snidley whiplash said:
The insert sounds good any suggestions as to what to look for ? Also good brands.

Most here, in their signature, have stove type/brand.
You see why one brand is hard to say is better, It is more personal preference. If you just ask me, I'd say a Blaze King catalytic with a blower.
Some of the high efficient stoves qualify for federal tax credits (some state have incentives too)
Do you have a wood stove store near you? Questions about the flue liner, flue size etc. may be critical to the stove type you choose. Ask them lots of questions to get more familiar with stove & the stove dealership. They should know the stove/chimney codes for your area. Northern Illinois should have a few. Have the dimensions & info about the chimney you have now.
Then you can come home & look online & post here for opinions, experience with types etc.
See what they have, may have more than one brad to choose from. Being able to see & touch really helps. Get the specs & $$ of each. Then you can post with a few stove options.
I believe a fan is very important, even more so with an insert.
Be getting some wood & getting it dry, at least 1 year of split, stacked off the ground. (Oak 2 to 3 years for it to season & burn well) The new EPA stoves have to have real dry wood to burn in the specs of the stove.
Depending on you set up, you may even be able to/want to, put a wood stove in, instead of an insert.
You have options. Narrow them down then let the folks here give you pros & cons & some good facts.
Either way, you'll heat up the area you are trying to heat & save lots on your heating bills. Which pays you back every year from here on out. (heat, even when power is out)

Good luck.

Oh
& Welcome. Good place to start for sure. Lots of good folks & great information here.

As a noob insert owner, all I can tell you is going from an open fireplace to a modern (EPA certified) insert is like trading in your Model T for a new Corvette! Benefits include WAY more heat from less wood, not having to constantly feed the fireplace, and cleaner emissions out your chimney.....the only downside is the money you'll spend putting it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.