Fan Balance - WOW

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

khenault

Dec 20, 2011
Southern, NH
My used Breckwell Big E was starting to make a squeak from the convection fan last week. So I pulled the fan, and sprayed the bearings with some teflon lubricant. after this the fan spun very free. So free in fact that I could tell the squirrel cage fan had a pronounced heavy spot. I figured it ran like this for three years, so it would be OK.

It's been running for a week, and it's back to normal with no squeak. But this unit as had a slight vibration since I got it. Every now and then it vibrates hard enough that the side panels and cover start to rattle.

Seeing that I have some time off and I'm hanging around the house, I thought I'd see what I could do about the rattle. I suspected the convection blower was the source of the vibration, so I started there. On closer inspection it became obvious that the cause of the vibration was the set screw that holds the fan onto the motor shaft. I thought a zip tie on the fan blade might be a good way to offset the imbalance. First I tried a tiny zip tie on the blade opposite the set screw. A quick spin of the fan blade showed that this wasn't enough weight. I cut that one off, and replaced it with a moderate sized zip tie. Pulled it tight to the fan blade, cut off the excess, and gave it a spin. This looked pretty good, so I buttoned her up, and fired it off.

The improvement is incredible. The vibration is nearly imperceptible, and the fan is incredibly quiet. On my normal setting I can't even hear the convection fan over the exhaust fan. On high it's still quieter than it was on my normal setting.

If you have vibration, or loud fans, and you're a little handy, you should check the balance of your fans. I know I'm going to check my exhaust fan next time I have it out for cleaning.

Ken

Dust bunnies and hair can effect how it spins, that why its always good to use your air compressor and blow it all away during your cleaning intervals when its out.

Fish On said:
Dust bunnies and hair can effect how it spins, that why its always good to use your air compressor and blow it all away during your cleaning intervals when its out.

I did clean the fan when I had it out for lubrication. The long set screw appears to be the main cause of the imbalance.

Next time you have it out, you could try a shorter set screw, available at a hardware store. That should reduce the imbalance some.
Great idea about the zip tie!

Status
Not open for further replies.