Fan for doorway

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kilarney

Mar 1, 2008
Vermont
Does anyone know of a place where I can order a fan to put in my doorway? I'm talking about the square units that mount on an upper corner of the doorway. I need two in order to move some heat around my house. I just installed a pellet stove today. I'm fairly happy with how the heat moves, but I'd like to give it a little push.

The local hardware store has the fans, but they are $30 each. That seemed really expensive to me.

I did some searching. It looks like $30 is actually a decent price. I guess there is some profit margin in these things!

Entree Air is the little half moon unit that mounts in a doorways upper corner. I got one off Ebay for 22 bucks a few years back. Be advised these are damned noisy for the size. I found they make a lot more racket than a full size window fan on full blast. I am not all that sensitive about sound either. In all it didn't move enough air beyond what I managed with a small one sitting on the side of the hallway floor. It got sold on Ebay really quick I have HAUER 10 inch that moves a fair amount of air and is nearly silent. If you can find one of those you could mount it in an upper corner as easily as one of the Entreair fans and it would take up marginally more space to do the same thing. I have about worn mine out in the last 3 seasons and the only place I can find them even on the net is one of those places based in NYC of the sort that doesn't check out with the BBB has no phone number and you wouldn't want to give a credit card number to. Mine came from Lowes or Walmart but I never saw one again and I have been looking for a long while now.
I bet you have those damned doorway transoms like mine and all the newer places do. You could notch or cut a clearance section in one of those and mount something in there. They do manage to hold back an awful lot of heat that you could otherwise move around. There are at least a few duct fans out there which can be mounted like that. Unfortunately you pretty much have to hard wire it in to make it usable. Of course the cheesy cord mount switch that comes with the Entreair isn't very practical either.

Status
Not open for further replies.