Fan for Leyden?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey Bear

Feb 28, 2010
Southwestern Pa
I replaced my VC Resolute Acclaim with a Lopi Leyden this spring, the VC did a decent job of heating the whole house. I have it in a finished basement with an open stairwell to the upstairs. Do you think adding the fan from Lopi would make difference in helping to spread the heat upstairs?

Adding a fan to a stove will be of no help for heat distribution within the house. Well, maybe in the sense that you'll get a large increase in heat output, so the room down there will be warmer, leading to more heat getting upstairs. To move air within the house, you'll need to add some fans that create a circular air pattern somewhere. In our 2 story colonial, the heating system upstairs has been broken for about 5 years now, so the ONLY heat up there comes natual convection originating at the stove. I have a fan at the bottom of the stairs that blows cool floor air into the living room where the stove is. With 6" exterior walls, and tight windows, the house does a great job of retaining the heat.

I hope this info is helpful to you.

Smokey Bear said:
I replaced my VC Resolute Acclaim with a Lopi Leyden this spring, the VC did a decent job of heating the whole house. I have it in a finished basement with an open stairwell to the upstairs. Do you think adding the fan from Lopi would make difference in helping to spread the heat upstairs?

Have you used the Lopi yet? Or are you asking this question so you heat the house better in general? Just wondering if you are saying that the Lopi doesn't heat as well, which would be surprising since the Lopi puts out 73k BTUs vs. the VC's 40k.

I have a Lopi Endeavor with fan in the lower level of a mid entry home. The fan pushes alot of hot air out. I thinks it heats the up stairs faster with fan blowing.

ControlFreak- Are you talking just a typical floor fan?

BrowningBAR-I only had a few fires in the Lopi at the end of last season and it seems to make a lot! more heat than the VC. I happened to come by and extraordinary amount of wood this summer and want to burn more and take full advantage of the stove, so I am trying to balance the heat.

Smokey Bear said:
I only had a few fires in the Lopi at the end of last season and it seems to make a lot! more heat than the VC. I happened to come by and extraordinary amount of wood this summer and want to burn more and take full advantage of the stove, so I am trying to balance the heat.

That's good to hear. It's a great looking stove. Looking forward to hearing how different it is in comparison to the VC you had. In regards to the fans, everybody's layout is different. A lot of people have great luck with having fans blowing the cold air towards the room, for me blowing the hot air out of the room works. I am also installing a ceiling fan this summer/fall and many have commented on the difference a ceiling fan can make. All of my stoves are on the main level as I have no basement.

Definitely play around with some fans and see what happens.

Thanks for the input, I am going to talk to my HVAC man about about having the furnace fan run continuously on a very slow speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.