Fan in the stove room door... WOW!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, finding the right place can be problematic, so that you are not bumping into it all the time. I will try to put ours back further away from the door and see how that works. It is a great idea. We bought a small corner doorway fan awhile ago and it did not seem to do much at all. I guess we were trying to work against this theory.

Merry Christmas to everyone and may you keep your home fires burning bright and warm !

OK.. let me get his right .I have a desk fan (mounted beside stove)as well as the stove blower fan on a thermostat that when it reaches the pre-set temp goes on and blows the air across the top surface of the stove out to the rest of house ....This other way is to point the desk fan ONLY directly at the stove door instead?? The reason I use the theromstat on both the fans is because the blower fan that is attached on the stove will keep running even when the stove has cooled,with the thermo connected they go on and off at the same time when temp set is reached. So do I point desk fan at the door instead and not use stove bower fan.???BTW the stove fan will blow across the surface to the front and the desk fan will blow across the top surface from one side of stove to other side. Thanks Mario in Va

Mario, you are correct in using the desk fan for blowing the cool air into the stove room. You do not have to point it at the stove door is that is what you are referring to. Just sit it in a doorway or hallway and aim it to the stove room. You can still use the other fan.

mario veda said:
OK.. let me get his right .I have a desk fan (mounted beside stove)as well as the stove blower fan on a thermostat that when it reaches the pre-set temp goes on and blows the air across the top surface of the stove out to the rest of house ....This other way is to point the desk fan ONLY directly at the stove door instead?? The reason I use the theromstat on both the fans is because the blower fan that is attached on the stove will keep running even when the stove has cooled,with the thermo connected they go on and off at the same time when temp set is reached. So do I point desk fan at the door instead and not use stove bower fan.???BTW the stove fan will blow across the surface to the front and the desk fan will blow across the top surface from one side of stove to other side. Thanks Mario in Va
Mario, I think we're talking about different things.. What you're talking about is getting the most heat off of your stove. What the general conversation was about was getting heat from the stove room to the rest of the house. Your small fan will move more air when it's moving cooler air but if you're able to push the hottest air away from your stove, it may be a wash. I'm sure the experts who have much more knowledge than I will weigh in shortly.

simply blow air "AWAY" HIGH and air "TOWARDS" LOW, this is the path that natural convection "wants" to take. so in doing this you are "boosting" this convection current.

a fan blowing heat off the top of the stove assists air in moving up and away from the unit,which is good, hard part is getting the cold air to return as the hot air pushing is lighter, contains less mass per cubic measure thus less momentum. colder air is the opposite once moving it wants to stay moving as it has more mass per cubic measure thus more momentum so a fan set low boosting the cold air's momentum is actually very efficient at pulling hot air over the top into the cooler spaces

StuckInTheMuck said:
mario veda said:
Mario, I think we're talking about different things.. What you're talking about is getting the most heat off of your stove. What the general conversation was about was getting heat from the stove room to the rest of the house. Your small fan will move more air when it's moving cooler air but if you're able to push the hottest air away from your stove, it may be a wash. I'm sure the experts who have much more knowledge than I will weigh in shortly.

I'd add that my fan is pointed at the door of the room the stove is in, but not pointing at the stove itself in any way. The above is correct: I was only talking about moving air around the house, and how much difference it made.

Chopernator said:
bluedogz said:
On the suggestions I got here, I took a tower fan we had around, pointed it into the door of the stove room (but set it outside the door), and turned it on super-duper low so you can barely tell it's running. The Sierra is munching on small BL splits, temp on the stovetop running 500-550. Not an especially big fire- the box is less than half full.

The heat started pumping out of the stove room like I wouldn't believe! Inside 30 minutes the adjacent dining room jumped from 70 to 75, and I can even feel a warm draft at the top of the center stairs on the 2d floor.

I shut off the heat pump at 9am... Mrs. Blue hasn't noticed yet.
So if I have a corner installation and mind have a ranche style home stove is on one side of house
and the bedrooms on the other how far away do I put the stand up fan? And where do I point it at??? Sorry novice here lol...

I also have a corner install in a new addition with bedrooms at the far end of the house (3 bedrooms with a 8 foot hallway leading to them). I place a fan in this hallway blowing the cooler air out of the bedrooms to the kitchen The 73 degree air from my kitchen warms up the bedrooms. They do not get toasty warm, but they definitely warm up a few degrees.

Any tips on getting heat up stairs?
Fan at bottom of stairs? At top?

brogsie said:
Any tips on getting heat up stairs?
Fan at bottom of stairs? At top?

Fan at top, pointed down. A prayer doesn't hurt either.

pen

Sorry to buck the tide, but I've tried blowing the cold air into the stove room and it didn't seem to help much at all to heat the upstairs part of my house. My stove room has a 10 ft ceiling that trapped a lot of hot air, the setup below showing a duct fan above the doorway sucking warm air from the tall ceiling and blowing it down towards the stairway was what works best. The fan in the doorway did nothing to remove the hot air traped in the tall ceiling of the stove room. The cold air rushing down the stairs doesn't need any extra push, and no prayer is necessary.
DuctFan.JPG

You just got be willing to try different things and see what works for you.

what cfm blower you using for that CL?

pen

pen said:
what cfm blower you using for that CL?

pen
Sorry Pen, I can't remember the specs on that fan anymore, it's been installed for two years, all I know is it's an 8" duct fan.

I do use a small desk type fan for blowing air across the top of my stove, and that seems to work better than the blower fan that came with the stove. The stove blower started making too much noise. I'm pretty sure it's the bearings, I located an online source for the bearings that would probably cost me about $30 for 14 bearings including shipping, but this $14 desktop fan seems to work so much better I don't know if I want to bother with the stove blower anymore.

Thanks for all the help on the fan business...Now..Im your biggest 'fan'...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.