Fan placement-split level

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HatCityIAFF

Burning Hunk
Oct 26, 2011
Western CT
For all of you that have a split level house (walk in the front door, six stairs down, or six stairs up) where is your fan placement? Bottom of the stairs pointing to the stove, middle landing pointing down, or top of the stairs pointing down?

No split here, but you want to work with the convective flow of air, rather than against it. Assuming your stove is in the basement, use fans to push the cold, floor level air from the upstairs down to the basement - this will speed the movement of warm air from the basement to the upstairs as the warm air replaces the cold air. Cheers!

+1 on the middle. To high up and the fan fights the warm air trying to go up and to low and it won't pull cold air down. I taped a piece of toilet paper on the header somewhere above the fan on the stairs and moved the fan up and down the stairs until I could see the paper moving from warm air going up.

wouldn't it work to put it in the hallway at the bottom of the stairs in the lower level and blow it into the stove room. i think it would make its way upstairs by pushing it along from below.

cass

I have my fan at the bottom to help assist int he natural falling flow of the cooler air above. Pointing to the stove from the lower level at the base of the stairs has worked best for me. I tried from the middle landing and I felt as though it was actually dreawing cool air faster from the doors leading outside. I figured no need iin helping outside air getting in. Best of luck and remember fan on low speed if its a variable speed fan. TY

Thanks guys. I just ordered a vornado online because i've searched hi and low for a fan around here for the past 2 days and no one carries them in stock in december. i've attached a quick drawing of the stove room. there are 3 doors on the left side of the room (closet, bathoom, and laundry room) but there always closed so that doesn't affect the circulation. I guess you guys said it best. Just hang some piece of toilet paper or something from the ceiling in the stairs and play with the fan location to find out the best spot for it. And of course I've done plenty of reading on here to blow cold air towards the stove.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 632
pretty sure the stove shop on germantown and osborne by the hospital has those fans that attach to the frame in upper corner of doorway, triangle shaped to tuck into corner.

nyokie said:
pretty sure the stove shop on germantown and osborne by the hospital has those fans that attach to the frame in upper corner of doorway, triangle shaped to tuck into corner.

That won't work well here. The fan blowing down the stairs works best if the fan is low, on the floor where the colder air is. A regular table fan set on low speed works very well. Walmart, Amazon and Sears have them. So might your local hardware store. They may not be on the shelf right now, but it doesn't hurt to ask if they have them in storage.

http://www.amazon.com/Lasko-12-Osci..._7?s=appliances&ie=UTF8&qid=1327174438&sr=1-7

and some folks like this fan because it's hard to tip over. And safer when there are small children in the house.

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-High-Velocity-Blower-Fan-655702/dp/B0001BJDUQ/ref=pd_cp_e_0

Looking at your drawing I'd put a Tjernlund Floor to floor Airshare in the corner to the rt of the stove blowing to second floor. This will set up a convective loop giving you the best even temp across the living space.

Not sure of your layout....our split has the fireplace insert on the main (middle) level, opposite the stairs leading to the bedrooms....sat on the stairs one day to talk to the Wife....could feel the cold air on my back circulating down the stairs to the main (middle level)....as far as the lower level (family room)...we rarely use it (although it's the room with the theater system and big TV)....I would imagine a fan at top blowing down....just my opinion

I have a bi level and have a fan in ceiling with a vent upstairs. is there a better way to draw the hot up air upstairs? Tried to follow the previous posts but im lost

RORY12553 said:
I have a bi level and have a fan in ceiling with a vent upstairs. is there a better way to draw the hot up air upstairs? Tried to follow the previous posts but im lost
Bi-Level is different floorplan than a Split Level. My buddy has a Bi-Level Ranch (Fireplace Insert downstairs)....cut out the wall along the stairs leading to the lower level....now when you walk in the house, you can see the room downstairs.....put a ceiling fan in place of the light in the entry hallway....helps bring the warm air up, but still having a problem getting the heat to the bedrooms....was thinking of duct work to circulate the cold air back down

I think I kinda got it. Beer you are right, cutting that wall would be good, but on the other side of my wall is a closet downstairs. So far, I just turn on the upstairs ceiling fan (which is a cathedral ceiling) and that gets the hot air up there circulating. And I have a Vornado at the end of the hallway by the bedrooms blowing towards the staircase/cathedral ceiling room. My wife said I was crazy last night because I think I used a whole role of toilet paper taping pieces low and high all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.