Fan pointed at stove ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Fortier

Feeling the Heat
Sep 29, 2013
So ...we placed a fan, at an angle, pointed at the stove. It seems to help out. Question is..has anyone found a way to have the fan turn on and off as the stove goes through its same cycle? Do you just leave the fan running 24/7? The ceiling fan in the same room does normally run 24/7. If no one has figured this out . Lets knock heads together if it is something worth while " inventing".

Last edited:
Helps in circulating the heat output around the house.

Push cold air into the room and hot air will be pushed out of the room to other parts of the house

Excuse my ignorance by why point a fan at the stove?

Just like when it helps blowing the heat from the stove into adjacent rooms, it also helps to blow the cold air from these outlying areas back towards the stove.

Excuse my ignorance by why point a fan at the stove?
Pointing the fan at the stove moves the heavier dense air to the stove and lets the lighter warm air travel to where the once cool air was.

has anyone found a way to have the fan turn on and off as the stove goes through its same cycle?
An aqua stat in front of the stove could work. As it warms up it will turn the fan on.

https://customer.honeywell.com/en-U...=Aquastats+-+Single+Function&catpath=1.2.27.3

Or you could also use a n/o snap disc mounted to the stove(inside the chassis) and have it turn the box fan on. But make sure you do it safely with UL approved components.

jtake...Do you know if anyone has tried that?

Brian..which wemo wall switch are you using?

I installed a ceiling fan and works great making the room even in heat distribution. It is blowing up and circulates the air.

I've been doing this for quite some time now. It definitely works, I just bought a sturdy box fan and run it whenever our Harman is cranking.

Works wonders!

You could look for one of those automatic switches that turn on a shop vac when using a sander. They run the vac while the sander is running and a minute afterwards. They work on sensing current draw.
Ron

I have a ranch house with a long hallway up the middle and the stove is in a room near the middle.
I was having problems last year (first year with the stove) getting heat to the kitchen at the far end of the house.
I tried the theory of blowing cold air low towards the stove and it didn’t work for me.
I ended up putting a Vornado fan on top of the stove pointing slightly up and down the hall.
I also keep two ceiling fans on low during the coldest months to “mix” the heat a bit.
It’s worked great for me. Those things work just as advertised.

fan.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.