Fan rattle on VC Merrimack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tansao

Dec 30, 2010
Worcester, MA
I've had my insert going a couple years now, and love it. Best thing I ever bought for the house!

Recently, though....the fan has been rattling something wicked. I suspect it is the bearings, but hoping it is filthy with pet hair and dust. A couple times a year I have to clean off the intake screen of fuzz/dust./pet hair.

If it's not out of balance due to crud and it is the bearings....I'm left with a replacement as an option. Considering this blower unit didn't last two years, I am not really wanting to put an exact replacement in. Perhaps they have improved the design since, but I doubt it. Has anyone had this problem and did you go with another blower assembly that is strong a blower and maybe quieter?

I've had my insert going a couple years now, and love it. Best thing I ever bought for the house!

Recently, though....the fan has been rattling something wicked. I suspect it is the bearings, but hoping it is filthy with pet hair and dust. A couple times a year I have to clean off the intake screen of fuzz/dust./pet hair.

If it's not out of balance due to crud and it is the bearings....I'm left with a replacement as an option. Considering this blower unit didn't last two years, I am not really wanting to put an exact replacement in. Perhaps they have improved the design since, but I doubt it. Has anyone had this problem and did you go with another blower assembly that is strong a blower and maybe quieter?

I'm on my third blower in three years, and there doesn't appear to be a better alternative. I've had really good luck with putting rubber pieces or wood chips under the blower housing to reduce vibration, so I'd try that. Mine is nice and quiet now when hot, but makes more noise as the stove temp drops, so I use it as an alarm to tell me it's time for more wood.

This is the only disappointing aspect to the stove for me, and for the price they charge for a new Merrimack this should run perfectly forever.

My Princess rattles too but I found out if I put weight on the cord it stops, not sure what thats about, I clean it out every year, I just put a piece of honey locust on the cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.